How is Impulse Calculated in a Collision with Changing Velocities?

In summary: I=m(V2-V1)So you now have this relevant equation. Have you tried applying this equation to your problem?Yes, I have applied the equation to the problem.Yes, I have applied the equation to the problem.In summary,The second ball away with half speed the initial speed the ball. What percentage of the kinetic energytransferred to the second ball?
Aprizal

Homework Statement

1. An Aircraft Space 1000 kg moving with speed
(2000 i m / s). A meteor strikes the plane so that
speed become (2000 i + 2000 j m / s). how impulses
collision?
2. A 0.5 kg ball collides with the ball perfectly Resilience
The second is silent. The second ball away with
half speed the initial speed the ball. What percentage of the kinetic energy
transferred to the second ball ?

Homework Equations

1. I=m(V2-V1)
2. KE=KE'
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF!

These are merely problem statements. If you read the guidelines for posting homework problems, you will find that they require you to show effort before we can help you (i.e., also fill in items #2 and #3 in the template that you used). If we do not know where you got stuck, it will be much more difficult for us to give you the appropriate help and we are not allowed to simply solve the problem for you. Instead, we will gladly point you in the right direction so that you can solve the problem yourself.

Likes Aprizal
Orodruin said:
Hi and welcome to PF!

These are merely problem statements. If you read the guidelines for posting homework problems, you will find that they require you to show effort before we can help you (i.e., also fill in items #2 and #3 in the template that you used). If we do not know where you got stuck, it will be much more difficult for us to give you the appropriate help and we are not allowed to simply solve the problem for you. Instead, we will gladly point you in the right direction so that you can solve the problem yourself.
okay,, I'm first in PF and I'm sorry for that. I will change my post.

Aprizal said:
okay,, I'm first in PF and I'm sorry for that. I will change my post.

Dont worry, it is very common that this happens for first posters and your attitude to the guidelines is already better than some I have seen.

speed (2000 i m / s). A meteor strikes the plane so that
speed become (2000 i + 2000 j m / s)
@Aprizal: Can you explain what is meant by this way of expressing the velocities?

Aprizal said:
I=m(V2-V1)

So you now have this relevant equation. Have you tried applying this equation to your problem?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in an object's momentum. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time interval over which the force acts.

How are momentum and impulse related?

Momentum and impulse are directly related. Impulse is the cause of a change in momentum. The larger the impulse, the larger the change in momentum.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved, or stays the same, in a closed system.

How is momentum used in real life?

Momentum is used in many real-life applications, such as sports, car safety, and rocket propulsion. In sports, athletes use their momentum to gain speed and momentum is also used to calculate the force of impact in car accidents. In rocket propulsion, momentum is used to propel the rocket forward by expelling exhaust gases at high speeds.