The Role of Momentum and Inpulse in Golf: Exploring the Science Behind the Swing

In summary, when it comes to golf, momentum and impulse play a role in the collision between the club and the ball. Due to the smaller inertia of the ball, its momentum is greatly altered while the club's momentum changes only slightly. However, the flexibility of the club's shaft can prolong the contact time between the club and the ball, resulting in a higher velocity for the ball and less impact on the golfer. This is why golfers with proficient swings, even those who may not seem physically strong, can still exert a great force on the ball.
bolson07
What does momentum and inpulse have to do with golf

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first you have a moving club and a stationary ball. The club subsequently applies an impulse to the stationary ball thereby changing its momentum. The momentum of the club is altered only slightly by the collision due to the much smaller inertia of the ball. Once the ball is in the air it is basically a projectile in free fall.

andrevdh said:
The momentum of the club is altered only slightly by the collision due to the much smaller inertia of the ball.
I think the momentum of the club is altered greatly - in fact exactly as much as the change in momentum of the ball.

AM

bolson07 said:
What does momentum and inpulse have to do with golf
Nothing, actually.
Golf is outside the laws of physics, as Tiger Woods has shown repeatedly.

arildno said:
Nothing, actually.
Golf is outside the laws of physics, as Tiger Woods has shown repeatedly.

Just on a side note, have you seen a golfer's swing in super slow motion? I remember watching a clip of Tiger Woods' swing and the amount the shaft of the club bends during the swing is unbelievable! It was literally greater than 90o!

~H

Actually, I haven't. Sort of proves I'm right, doesn't it?:smile:

arildno said:
Actually, I haven't. Sort of proves I'm right, doesn't it?:smile:

:rofl: It was on a sky advert over here in the UK I'm not sure if they air them in Norway. It's the "Sky - what do you want to watch?" type of thing. I never though a golf club was that flexible and fat business men could exert such a force. :biggrin:

~H

Business men with club swinging proficiency?
I'm sure they are about somewhere..

Ah, yes I erred as Andrew remarked, the momentum change is the same according to N3. What I was trying to convey is due to the much larger inertia of the club its speed will change less during the collision. What Hootenanny suggest is that the contact time between the ball and the club is prolonged due to the flexibility of the shaft of the club. This will allow the club to speed the ball up to a higher velocity as it flexes back forward after initially bending backwards. This flexibility will also soften the blow for the golfer.

1. What is momentum in golf?

Momentum in golf refers to the amount of force or energy that is generated and transferred during a swing. It is a crucial element in achieving distance and accuracy in shots.

2. How is momentum generated in a golf swing?

Momentum is generated through a combination of factors such as the speed of the swing, the weight of the club, and the transfer of body weight from the backswing to the downswing. It is important to have a smooth and consistent swing to generate maximum momentum.

3. What is impulse in golf?

Impulse in golf is the change in momentum over a specific period of time, usually during impact with the ball. It is the force that is applied to the ball to make it travel a certain distance.

4. How does momentum and impulse affect the distance of a shot?

Momentum and impulse play a crucial role in determining the distance of a shot. A higher momentum and impulse can result in a longer shot as more force is applied to the ball. This is why professional golfers focus on generating maximum momentum and applying the right amount of impulse during their swings.

5. How can I improve my momentum and impulse in golf?

To improve momentum and impulse in golf, it is important to work on your overall swing technique, including generating more speed and power, transferring body weight effectively, and using the right club for each shot. Practicing and receiving guidance from a professional coach can also help improve your momentum and impulse in golf.