1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Inpulse in golf

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    What does momentum and inpulse have to do with golf

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Well, first you have a moving club and a stationary ball. The club subsequently applies an impulse to the stationary ball thereby changing its momentum. The momentum of the club is altered only slightly by the collision due to the much smaller inertia of the ball. Once the ball is in the air it is basically a projectile in free fall.

4. Jun 1, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the momentum of the club is altered greatly - in fact exactly as much as the change in momentum of the ball.

AM

5. Jun 1, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nothing, actually.
    Golf is outside the laws of physics, as Tiger Woods has shown repeatedly.

6. Jun 1, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just on a side note, have you seen a golfer's swing in super slow motion? I remember watching a clip of Tiger Woods' swing and the amount the shaft of the club bends during the swing is unbelievable! It was literally greater than 90o!

~H

7. Jun 1, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, I haven't. Sort of proves I'm right, doesn't it?:smile:

8. Jun 1, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: It was on a sky advert over here in the UK I'm not sure if they air them in Norway. It's the "Sky - what do you want to watch?" type of thing. I never though a golf club was that flexible and fat buisness men could exert such a force. :biggrin:

~H

9. Jun 1, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Business men with club swinging proficiency?
    I'm sure they are about somewhere..

10. Jun 1, 2006 #9

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Ah, yes I erred as Andrew remarked, the momentum change is the same according to N3. What I was trying to convey is due to the much larger inertia of the club its speed will change less during the collision. What Hootenanny suggest is that the contact time between the ball and the club is prolonged due to the flexibility of the shaft of the club. This will allow the club to speed the ball up to a higher velocity as it flexes back forward after initially bending backwards. This flexibility will also soften the blow for the golfer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?