How Do You Calculate Initial Acceleration in a Solar Propulsion Engine?

In summary: We can use the equation F=ma to find the initial acceleration, which will be the same as the acceleration throughout the entire process. So in summary, to find the initial acceleration of a solar propulsion engine, we can use the equation F=ma and the conservation equation p_initial = p_final to solve for the initial velocity and mass of the spaceship.
koujidaisuki76
A solar propulsion engine uses solar power to ionize atoms of xenon and to accelerate them. As a result of the accelerationprocess, the ions are ejected from the spaceship with a speed of 3.0E4m/s

Mass of spaceship is 5.4E2

Engine ejects 7.7E18 ions every second and the fuel mass is 81 kg. Lasts for 4.8E7 secs.

My question is how do you find th initial acceleration? The IB book says that its 8.2E-5 but I've been getting 9.3E-5

please help me! My IB test is tommrowo!

thank you!
:(

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show some work.

What do you know about how force relates to momentum, or what about momentum in general?

momentum before and after collision is the same. the only that changes is velocity and the mass in certain cases (as this one) .

momentum is p=mv

conservation equation

mv+mv=mv+mv

okay:

so for the inital momentum of the feula nd rocket i said 0:

0: mv+mv
(81)(3.0E4) + (5.4E2)(v)<-- final velocity of spaceship

which is 4500

t is 48000000 so Acceleration:

4500/48000000 = which is 9.4E-5 whcih is wrong.. So i assume that for the mass= 81 after a period of time the mass will decrease.. but how do you find the final amount of the fuel?

You have to work in the mass somehow because with conservation you can see that p_initial = p_final, so

[tex]m_{p0}v_{p0} + M_{s0}V_{s0} = -(m_{p0}-m_{pejected})*v_{pf} + (M_{s0}-(m_{p0}-m_{pejected}))V_{sf}[/tex]

where the terms on the left will be zero

As more ions are ejected, the spaceship will go faster.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum different from velocity?

While both momentum and velocity involve an object's motion, velocity only takes into account the speed and direction of an object, while momentum also considers the mass of the object. In other words, two objects can have the same velocity but different momenta if they have different masses.

What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This equation can also be written in terms of force and time as p = FΔt, where F is the force applied to an object and Δt is the time over which the force acts.

How does momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Momentum is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, particularly the law of inertia and the law of conservation of momentum. The law of inertia states that an object will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to an object's rotational motion around a fixed axis. Both types of momentum are conserved, but they can be transferred between each other in certain situations.