1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Kinetic Energy

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) A particle of mass m moves with momentum of magnitude p. Show that the kinetic energy of the particle is given by K=p[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2m. (b) Express the magnitude of the particle's momentum in terms of its kinetic energy and mass.

2. Relevant equations
    Would the p=mv be needed?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to get it started. I think I can get it if I can get it started.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your [starting] expression for kinetic energy?
    How is the new expression different from the old one? Any variables missing from one vs the other?

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    The equation for kinetic energy is k=.5mV^2 and the new equation is K=p^2/2m. Momentum is missing from the first equation and velocity is missing from the second equation.

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4
    If velocity is missing from the final equation, that means it was substituted in the original equation for K.E. From the equation for momentum (which you listed: p = mv), what is velocity equal to?

6. Oct 9, 2011 #5
    K=p^2/2m
    K=.5mV^2
    p=mv
    V=p/m
    K=.5m(p/m)^2
    K=p^2/2m

7. Oct 9, 2011 #6
    Oh, you had it already! Perfect :smile:

8. Oct 9, 2011 #7
    Thank you for the help. :)

9. Oct 9, 2011 #8
    No problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook