Calculating Impulse for a Truck Slowing Down: Momentum and Vector Help

In summary, the formula for impulse is f(delta)t and for a truck with a mass of 1.20 x 10^3 kg braking from 24.0m/s to 10.4m/s, the impulse provided by the brakes is (1.20 x 10^3)(24.0-10.4). This formula only requires the final and initial velocities to determine the impulse, making the time irrelevant.
butz3
i know that the formula for impulse is f(delta)t. my question ask " a truck with a mass of 1.20 x 10^3 kg has its brakes applied for 5.50s as it slows down from 24.0m/s, west to 10.4m/s west. determine the magnitude and direction of the impulse provided by the brakes." i know you need to use the formula
f(delta)t = m(delta)(vf-vi). but since i want the impulse do i just fill in the right side of the formula and git impulse or do i use the time also. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
u can safely ignore "time=5.50s" as impulse is independant of time.

just impulse= (1.20 x 10^3)(24.0-10.4)

The impulse is the left-hand-side: (Favg)(Delta t).
By the impulse-momentum theorem, it then follows that it is equal to the change-in-momentum.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = mv. The unit of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg∙m/s).

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, in the absence of external forces.

4. How is momentum different from velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the speed and direction of an object's motion, while momentum is a vector quantity that only describes an object's motion. Momentum takes into account an object's mass, whereas velocity does not.

5. How can vectors be used to represent momentum?

Vectors can be used to represent momentum by showing both the magnitude (size) and direction of an object's momentum. The direction of the vector represents the direction of the object's motion, and the length of the vector represents the magnitude of the object's momentum.