1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum ap physic problem ( please help me)

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    An incident ball A of mass 0.10 kg is sliding at 1.4 m/s on the horizontal tabletop of negligible friction show above. It makes a head on collision with a target ball B of mass 0.50 kg at rest at the edge of the table. As a result of the collision, the incident ball rebounds, sliding backwards at 0.70 m/s immediately after the collision.

(a). Calculate the speed of the 0.50 kg target ball immediately after the collision

The tabletop is 1.20 m above a level, horizontal floor. The target ball is projected horizontally and initially strikes the floor at a horizontal displacement d from the point of collision.

(b) Calculate the horizontal distance d

In another experiment on the same table, the target ball
    B is replaced by target ball C of mass 0.1 kg. The incident
    ball A again slides at 1.4 m/s, as shown at the left, but
    this time makes a glancing collision with the target ball
    C that is at rest at the edge of the table. The target ball C
    strikes the floor at point P, which is at a horizontal
    displacement of 0.15 m from the point of the collision., and
    at an angle of 300 from the + x axis, as shown at the right.

(c) Calculate the speed v of the target ball C immediately after the collision.
    (d) Calculate the y component of the incident ball A’s momentum immediately after the collision

ap.jpg

View attachment app.doc

i think i got a and b
    but for c and d i have no clue how to do it
    please just give me some tip thanks =]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?