Calculating the Speed of a Block After a Bullet Collision

In summary: I'm a little confused about this statement:"When a bullet strikes a block of wood originally at rest, the bullet becomes embedded into the wood block which travels 1.70 m after the collision."What does it mean when the bullet becomes embedded into the wood block? Is the block and bullet moving together at the same time as the bullet is getting further embedded into the wood block, or does the block move 1.70 m after the bullet becomes embedded?
huynhtn2

Homework Statement

When a bullet strikes a block of wood originally at rest, the bullet becomes embedded into the wood block which travels 1.70 m after the collision. If the mass of the bullet is 5.26 g and the mass of the block is 2.40 kg, what is the speed of the block immediately after the collision? The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is 0.30.

Homework Equations

p=mv
f=dp/dt
m1v1 + m2 v2 = m1u1 + m2u2

The Attempt at a Solution

m1v1 + m2 v2 = m1u1 + m2u2
(0.00526)v1 = (0.00536)u1 + (2.4)u2

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a totally inelastic collision where the block and bullet move, after the collision , together as one mass with a common speed. Then you'll need another equation or two to solve for that speed.

PhanthomJay said:
This is a totally inelastic collision where the block and bullet move, after the collision , together as one mass with a common speed. Then you'll need another equation or two to solve for that speed.

So i got mvi = (M + m)vf
and 0.5mv^2=kfriction
vf= 2.43 m/s
then i plugged that into the first equation for vf and solved for vi, is this correctÉ

You can't use conservation of momentum because they didn't give you the initial OR the final velocities in the problem. Sure it would work if you had that information, but because you don't you have to approach the problem a little differently. Think about it from an energy perspective. Right after the collision the block and bullet have some velocity [tex]v_{i}[/tex] and therefore some Kinetic Energy [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{i}[/tex]. Then the block travels some distance on the table to a final position 1.70m from start and stops. This means that you have lost all that kinetic energy. It had to go somewhere...(hint, Work due to friction)

Xerxes1986 said:
You can't use conservation of momentum because they didn't give you the initial OR the final velocities in the problem. Sure it would work if you had that information, but because you don't you have to approach the problem a little differently. Think about it from an energy perspective. Right after the collision the block and bullet have some velocity [tex]v_{i}[/tex] and therefore some Kinetic Energy [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{i}[/tex]. Then the block travels some distance on the table to a final position 1.70m from start and stops. This means that you have lost all that kinetic energy. It had to go somewhere...(hint, Work due to friction)

u r right.the energy in the bullet is used to take the block & the bullet 1.70 m ahead.
so u can equate the kinetic energy of bullet & work done by "bullet & block" to travel 1.70 m against friction.
use: Kfriction=coefficient of friction * weight of (block+bullet)
& 0.5 mv^2=Kfriction*1.70

Parbat said:
u r right.the energy in the bullet is used to take the block & the bullet 1.70 m ahead.
so u can equate the kinetic energy of bullet & work done by "bullet & block" to travel 1.70 m against friction.
use: Kfriction=coefficient of friction * weight of (block+bullet)
& 0.5 mv^2=Kfriction*1.70

Ke = Ffriction
0.5mv^2= uk mg
v= square root (2(9.81)(0.3))
v= 2.43 m/s

i don't know what to do with the 1.70 m distance

huynhtn2 said:
Ke = Ffriction
0.5mv^2= uk mg
v= square root (2(9.81)(0.3))
v= 2.43 m/s

i don't know what to do with the 1.70 m distance

that's there:
0.5mv^2=Kfriction*1.70
u see that?

I am a little confused about this statement:
"When a bullet strikes a block of wood originally at rest, the bullet becomes embedded into the wood block which travels 1.70 m after the collision."

Do they mean the bullet + wood block system move 1.70 m after the collision ? OR the bullet travels 1.70 m inside the wood block and the bullet and wood block move together at the same time as the bullet is getting further embedded into the wood block ?

Please clarify.

1. What is momentum and how is it related to "Bullet and Block"?

Momentum refers to the quantity of motion that an object has. In the context of "Bullet and Block", momentum refers to the force and direction of the bullet as it collides with the block.

2. How is momentum calculated in "Bullet and Block"?

The momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In the case of "Bullet and Block", the mass and velocity of the bullet are used to calculate its momentum before and after the collision with the block.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision remains constant. In "Bullet and Block", this means that the total momentum of the bullet and block before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. How does the mass and velocity of the bullet affect the momentum in "Bullet and Block"?

The mass and velocity of the bullet directly affect the momentum of the system. A heavier bullet or a faster bullet will have a greater momentum, resulting in a more forceful impact on the block.

5. How does the elasticity of the collision affect the momentum in "Bullet and Block"?

The elasticity of the collision refers to how much of the kinetic energy is conserved during the collision. In "Bullet and Block", a perfectly elastic collision would result in all of the kinetic energy being conserved, while a perfectly inelastic collision would result in no kinetic energy being conserved. This affects the momentum of the system and the resulting movement of the bullet and block.