Which vehicle experiences the greater momentum change in a head-on collision?

In summary, a compact car and a large truck collide head on and stick together. The question is which one undergoes a larger momentum change, and the answer is that both undergo the same magnitude of momentum change due to the conservation of total momentum during the collision.
Xamfy19
i need help for this question. i don't know if i got it right or wrong:

a compact car and a large truck collide head on and stick together. which undergoes the larger momentum change?

i thought the answer is "can't tell without knowing the final velocity of the combined masses." Am i correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Xamfy19
i thought the answer is "can't tell without knowing the final velocity of the combined masses." Am i correct?
No. Total momentum is conserved during the collision. Think about what that means.

thanks Doc

That means both of them undergone same momentum change. If I am wrong, please let me know. Thanks again, Doc

Originally posted by Xamfy19
That means both of them undergone same momentum change. If I am wrong, please let me know.
Each undergoes the same magnitude of momentum change. (The changes are equal and opposite, of course.)

What is momentum change?

Momentum change refers to the change in an object's momentum, which is a measure of its mass and velocity. When an object's mass or velocity changes, its momentum also changes.

How is momentum change calculated?

Momentum change is calculated by subtracting the initial momentum of an object from its final momentum. This can be expressed as: Δp = pf - pi, where Δp is the change in momentum, pf is the final momentum, and pi is the initial momentum.

What is the difference between momentum and impulse?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while impulse is a measure of the force applied to an object over a period of time. Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity, while impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied.

How does the momentum of a car compare to that of a truck?

The momentum of a car is typically lower than that of a truck, as cars are generally lighter and have lower speeds than trucks. However, this can vary depending on the specific car and truck being compared.

How does a collision between a car and a truck affect their momentums?

In a collision between a car and a truck, the momentums of both objects will change. The change in momentum will depend on the mass and velocities of the objects involved in the collision. In general, the larger and faster-moving object will experience a smaller change in momentum compared to the smaller and slower-moving object.