P=Fv=1*42*vHomework: Calculating Momentum, Speed, and Power

In summary, a block of mass 2 kg is initially at rest on a horizontal surface. At time t=0, it is pushed with a force that varies with time as F(t)=Beta t^2, where Beta = 1.0 N/s^2. When the pushing stops at t=5s, the final momentum is (1/3)Beta(5s)^3. In a new situation where the object is initially at rest on a rough surface with a coefficient of static friction of 0.2, the speed of the block at t=5s is (Beta/3)(5s)^3 - (f_k)(5s). Finally, at t=4s, the power provided by
Tanero

Homework Statement

A block of mass m=2 kg is initially at rest on a horizontal surface. At time t=0, we begin pushing on it with a horizontal force that varies with time as F(t)=Beta t^2, where Beta = 1.0 N/s^2. We stop pushing at time t1, 5s [F(t)=0 for t>1].
(a) First, assume the surface is frictionless. What is the magnitude of the final momentum at t1=5s?
P final(t=t1)=
(b) let's now consider a new situation where the object is initially at rest on a rough surface. The coefficient of static friction is 0.2. What is the speed of the block at time t2=5s?
v(t=t2)=
(c) What is the power P provided by the force F(t) at time t3=4s (in Watts) i the case where there is friction (part(b))?
P(t=t3)=

Homework Equations

Can you please check if my approach is right? I have some doubts.
p=∫Fdt ,
instantaneous power P=Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

part a) p=∫βt2=1/3βt3

part b) F - f_k = ma
F - f_k = mdv/dt
(F - f_k)dt = mdv
∫(F - f_k)dt = ∫mdv
mv_f - mv_i = (β/3)(t_f)^3 - (f_k)t_f - [(β/3)(t_i)^3 - (f_k)t_i] [v_i = 0 and t_i = 0]
mv_f = (β/3)(t_f)^3 - (f_k)t_f

part c)
P=Fv
to find v I used same approach as for b (but for t=4) and F=1*42

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good. You didn't include β in your expression for the answer in (a), but I guess that's because it has a numerical value of 1 N/s2.

Of course you will need to plug in the time values and figure out the friction force to get your final numerical answers.

Good work.

[Welcome to PF!]

1. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is P = mv, where P is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula can also be written as P = Fv, where F is force and v is velocity.

2. How do I calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula s = d/t, where s is speed, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What is the relationship between momentum and mass?

The relationship between momentum and mass is direct. As mass increases, momentum also increases, assuming velocity remains constant. This means that an object with a greater mass will have a greater momentum compared to an object with a smaller mass.

4. How does increasing velocity affect momentum?

Increasing velocity will also increase momentum, assuming mass remains constant. This is because momentum is directly proportional to velocity. Therefore, an object moving at a higher velocity will have a greater momentum compared to an object moving at a lower velocity.

5. What is the relationship between power and velocity?

The relationship between power and velocity is also direct. Power is defined as the rate at which work is done, which means that it is directly proportional to velocity. This means that increasing velocity will also increase power, assuming force remains constant.