1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum change

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m=2 kg is initially at rest on a horizontal surface. At time t=0, we begin pushing on it with a horizontal force that varies with time as F(t)=Beta t^2, where Beta = 1.0 N/s^2. We stop pushing at time t1, 5s [F(t)=0 for t>1].
    (a) First, assume the surface is frictionless. What is the magnitude of the final momentum at t1=5s?
    P final(t=t1)=
    (b) lets now consider a new situation where the object is initially at rest on a rough surface. The coefficient of static friction is 0.2. What is the speed of the block at time t2=5s?
    v(t=t2)=
    (c) What is the power P provided by the force F(t) at time t3=4s (in Watts) i the case where there is friction (part(b))?
    P(t=t3)=
    2. Relevant equations
    Can you please check if my approach is right? I have some doubts.
    p=∫Fdt ,
    instantaneous power P=Fv
    3. The attempt at a solution

part a) p=∫βt2=1/3βt3

part b) F - f_k = ma
    F - f_k = mdv/dt
    (F - f_k)dt = mdv
    ∫(F - f_k)dt = ∫mdv
    mv_f - mv_i = (β/3)(t_f)^3 - (f_k)t_f - [(β/3)(t_i)^3 - (f_k)t_i] [v_i = 0 and t_i = 0]
    mv_f = (β/3)(t_f)^3 - (f_k)t_f

part c)
    P=Fv
    to find v I used same approach as for b (but for t=4) and F=1*42

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks good. You didn't include β in your expression for the answer in (a), but I guess that's because it has a numerical value of 1 N/s2.

Of course you will need to plug in the time values and figure out the friction force to get your final numerical answers.

Good work.

[Welcome to PF!]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted