Momentum, collision problem

In summary, the two cars, one traveling northeast and the other south, collide and stick together, resulting in a tangled mess of metal moving with a magnitude of __________ m/s in a direction __________ degrees South of east. To solve for this, you will need to use the conservation of momentum equation for both the x and y-components.
aquirk

Homework Statement

A car with a mass of 1680 kg is traveling directly northeast (45° between north and east) at a speed of 14 m/s (31 mph), and collides with a smaller car with a mass of 1300 kg that is traveling directly south at a speed of 13 m/s (29 mph). The two cars stick together during the collision. With what speed and direction does the tangled mess of metal move right after the collision?
Magnitude __________ m/s
Direction _________ degrees South of east

Homework Equations

m1v1i+m2v2i = v1(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried plugging my values into this equation to figure out the answer but it doesn't seem to give me the right answer. I am thinking maybe I am doing it wrong becuase there is an angle involved but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
aquirk said:

Homework Statement

A car with a mass of 1680 kg is traveling directly northeast (45° between north and east) at a speed of 14 m/s (31 mph), and collides with a smaller car with a mass of 1300 kg that is traveling directly south at a speed of 13 m/s (29 mph). The two cars stick together during the collision. With what speed and direction does the tangled mess of metal move right after the collision?
Magnitude __________ m/s
Direction _________ degrees South of east

Homework Equations

m1v1i+m2v2i = v1(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried plugging my values into this equation to figure out the answer but it doesn't seem to give me the right answer. I am thinking maybe I am doing it wrong becuase there is an angle involved but I am not sure.

You're on the right track using conservation of momentum, but you seem to have forgotten that momentum is a vector quantity and therefore you will have an equation for the x-components and an equation fro the y-components. So, yes you need to make use of the angle.

I can provide a response to this problem by using the principles of momentum and conservation of momentum. In this situation, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be represented by the equation m1v1i + m2v2i = (m1+m2)v, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two cars, v1i and v2i are their initial velocities, and v is the velocity of the tangled mess of metal after the collision.

Using this equation, we can solve for the final velocity (v) by plugging in the given values:
(1680 kg)(14 m/s) + (1300 kg)(-13 m/s) = (1680 kg + 1300 kg)v
v = (23520 kg m/s + (-16900 kg m/s)) / (2980 kg)
v = 2.5 m/s

The magnitude of the final velocity is 2.5 m/s. To determine the direction, we can use the concept of vector addition. The initial velocities of the two cars can be represented as vectors, with the northeast direction being 45° and the south direction being 180°. The final velocity vector can be found by adding these two vectors together. This can be done using trigonometric functions, specifically the law of cosines.

Cosine law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcosC
Where c is the final velocity, a is the initial velocity of the first car, b is the initial velocity of the second car, and C is the angle between the two initial velocities.

Plugging in the values:
c^2 = (14 m/s)^2 + (13 m/s)^2 - 2(14 m/s)(13 m/s)cos(180°-45°)
c = 12.4 m/s

Therefore, the final velocity vector has a magnitude of 12.4 m/s and a direction of (180°-45°) = 135° south of east.

In conclusion, the tangled mess of metal will have a final velocity of 2.5 m/s in the direction of 135° south of east after the collision.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and it is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the sum of the momentums of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentums after the collision.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system are conserved. In other words, the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. How do you calculate the momentum of an object after a collision?

To calculate the momentum of an object after a collision, you will need to know the object's mass, initial velocity, and the change in velocity caused by the collision. You can then use the equation p = m x v to calculate the final momentum.

5. What is the difference between an inelastic and a perfectly inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total momentum is conserved, but the total kinetic energy is not. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together after the collision and move with a common velocity. This is the most extreme case of an inelastic collision, where all the kinetic energy is lost.