Find the Angle of Travel for a Blue Car and Purple Truck Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between a blue car and a purple truck, where the two vehicles lock together after the collision. The question at hand is determining the angle of the combined car-truck's travel after the collision, with the given information being the masses and velocities of the individual vehicles. The solution involves using the concept of momentum conservation and considering the direction of momentum, with East and North being defined as the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. Ultimately, the answer is given as an angle South of East.
mohabitar
A blue car with mass mc = 438 kg is moving east with a speed of vc = 23 m/s and collides with a purple truck with mass mt = 1237 kg that is moving south with a speed of vt = 10 m/s . The two collide and lock together after the collision.

What is the angle that the car-truck combination travel after the collision? (give your answer as an angle South of East)

-----------------------------

I really have no idea how to approach this one. I've tried many combinations based off just random guesses, but none were right. Any ideas how I can begin this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why guess? You know, I'll wager, that's it's a momentum conservation problem. What does that tell you?

Well I've already figured out the individual momentums, but how do I figure out the angle? What values will I need to use, velocity or momentum?

mohabitar said:
Well I've already figured out the individual momentums, but how do I figure out the angle? What values will I need to use, velocity or momentum?
What's the final momentum of the locked-together vehicles?

It's 15953.13

Momentum is a vector. What is its direction?

South? Negative?

mohabitar said:
South? Negative?
Figure it out. Hint: Let East be along the x-axis and North be along the y-axis.

Well I already knew that. Why does direction of momentum matter right now? I already know what direction the angle I'm looking for is. The question said "give your answer as an angle South of East"

1. What is the angle of travel for a blue car and purple truck collision?

The angle of travel for a blue car and purple truck collision refers to the direction in which the two vehicles were traveling at the moment of impact. It can be measured in degrees and can help determine the cause and severity of the collision.

2. How is the angle of travel determined in a car and truck collision?

The angle of travel is determined by examining the damage to the vehicles and the location of the impact. Skid marks, debris, and witness statements can also help in determining the angle of travel.

3. Can the angle of travel vary in a car and truck collision?

Yes, the angle of travel can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the collision. Factors such as the speed and direction of the vehicles, the road conditions, and the type of impact can all affect the angle of travel.

4. Why is it important to determine the angle of travel in a car and truck collision?

Determining the angle of travel is important for understanding the dynamics of the collision and can help in determining who was at fault. It can also provide insights into the severity of the collision and help with insurance claims and legal proceedings.

5. Is there a standard method for calculating the angle of travel in a car and truck collision?

There is no one standard method for calculating the angle of travel in a car and truck collision. It typically involves a combination of physical evidence, witness statements, and accident reconstruction techniques. The specific method used may vary depending on the expertise of the investigators and the available evidence.