Conservation of Momentum in Collisions: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter speckledot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two balls colliding on a curved ramp. The first ball has a mass of 0.75 kg and is initially at rest, while the second ball has a mass of 0.51 kg and is also initially at rest. The range of the second ball after the collision is given as 4.12m and the question is to determine the range of the first ball and whether the collision is elastic or inelastic. The conversation suggests using conservation of momentum and energy equations to solve the problem, as well as considering projectile motion and using parametric equations. The conversation ends with a request for a step-by-step explanation to better understand the problem.
speckledot
I'm not quite sure how to even start this question >-<

But here it is: A ball with a mass of 0.75 kg initially at rest is placed at the top of curved ramp and allowed to roll down the ramp. It collides with a second ball with a mass of 0.51 kg at the bottom of the ramp which is also initially at rest. The two balls fly off the end of the ramp and land on the floor as indicated on the diagram below. Determine the range of the 0.75kg ball after it leaves the ramp if the range of the 0.51 kg ball is 4.12m. Also determine if this is and elastic or inelastic collision.

diagram.jpg

I understand that momentum is conserved and that i have to find the time for the vertical displacement at the end, but i don't know what to do with the rest of the info i get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider conservation of energy for the mass 0.75 kg, and recall projectile motion.

i need help with this question as well. the hint doesn't do anything :(

first you must find the velocity of ball 1 when it collides with the 2. Remember that if it rolls down, it has angular and linear momentum but the work of frictional force is 0(otherwise more data would be required).
Than, you can use linear moment conservation to work out the collision part(as the range of the second ball gives you the velocity after colliding.

hope this hint helps...xD

Littlepig said:
first you must find the velocity of ball 1 when it collides with the 2. Remember that if it rolls down, it has angular and linear momentum but the work of frictional force is 0(otherwise more data would be required).
Than, you can use linear moment conservation to work out the collision part(as the range of the second ball gives you the velocity after colliding.

hope this hint helps...xD
if there is no friction, may i just use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad to find the velocity when it hits the ball ?

also, to find the range, i can't seem to figure out which formula would determine that.

i know conservation of momentum is m1v1 = m2v2

thanks for all the help. :)

Last edited:
well, use the parametric equations for the m2...is just a projectile with horizontal movement, you know the final position, the inicial position, the aceleration, you can compute inicial velocity...than, you got v2, m2 and m1, so you can get v1 to see if it is equal to the one you got in the energy conservation equation of m1 rolling down...

could someone please guide me through this homework question, it just seems really complicated. if someone has time.. a step by step would be great..

i want to learn how to do it. (not just some numbers)

thanks

1. What is momentum collision?

Momentum collision is a term used to describe the transfer of momentum between objects during a collision. It is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object and is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. During a collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved, meaning that the sum of the momenta of the objects before and after the collision is equal.

2. How is momentum calculated during a collision?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. In a collision, the momentum of an object before the collision can be determined by multiplying its mass and velocity. Similarly, the momentum of the object after the collision can be calculated using the same formula. The total momentum of the system is conserved, meaning that the sum of the momenta before and after the collision is equal.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. In an elastic collision, the objects involved rebound off of each other without any loss of energy. This type of collision is often seen in billiard balls, where the balls bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. In this type of collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy, usually in the form of heat or sound. Inelastic collisions are often seen in real-world scenarios, such as car accidents, where there is a loss of energy due to deformation of the objects involved.

5. How does momentum conservation apply to real-world situations?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle of physics that applies to many real-world situations. It is used to analyze and predict the outcome of collisions, whether it is in a car accident, a sports game, or in space. Understanding momentum conservation can help scientists and engineers design safer and more efficient systems, such as in the development of car safety features or the design of spacecraft.