Momentum conservation

Homework Statement

In the pictures

Homework Equations

Fnet = dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I know in part b there is a net external force (gravity) that does positive work, fnet > 0, thus dp/dt is positive. Does the spring in part c increase or decrease the momentum of the system? I am not too sure of
my answer.[/B]

0222151508.jpg

Answers and Replies

What is 'the system?' Is it both blocks or one block? Do you see how the answer is different in either case?

0222151508.jpg

What is 'the system?' Is it both blocks or one block? Do you see how the answer is different in either case?
The system consists of the two gliders. So it appears that the spring is indeed an external force. But the direction the spring accelerates the block is in negative direction, so I am not sure how the TOTAL momentum of the system will change.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
0222151508.jpg

The system consists of the two gliders. So it appears that the spring is indeed an external force. But the direction the spring accelerates the block is in negative direction, so I am not sure how the TOTAL momentum of the system will change.
Even if you count the spring as external to the system (and I'm not sure that's intended), you are not given any mass for it. Taking its mass as zero, it cannot add or remove any momentum from the system of gliders.