Momentum Differential Equation

In summary, the second interpretation does not work because it does not take into account the changing velocity and momentum of the fuel being expelled, resulting in an incorrect equation.
ecoo

Homework Statement

A rocket sled moves along a horizontal plane, and is retarded by a friction force friction = μW, where μ is constant and W is the weight of the sled. The sled’s initial mass is M, and its rocket engine expels mass at constant rate dM/dt ≡ γ; the expelled mass has constant speed v0 relative to the rocket. The rocket sled starts from rest and the engine stops when half the sled’s total mass is gone. Find an expression for the maximum speed.

Homework Equations

d(mv)/dt = F(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve the problem, I found the differential equation for momentum, taking the momentum at a point in time and then the momentum a moment later, then dividing by a change in time.

This interpretation worked.

image.jpg

This interpretation did not work.

image (1).jpg

I don't understand why the second interpretation does not work.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ecoo said:

Homework Statement

A rocket sled moves along a horizontal plane, and is retarded by a friction force friction = μW, where μ is constant and W is the weight of the sled. The sled’s initial mass is M, and its rocket engine expels mass at constant rate dM/dt ≡ γ; the expelled mass has constant speed v0 relative to the rocket. The rocket sled starts from rest and the engine stops when half the sled’s total mass is gone. Find an expression for the maximum speed.

Homework Equations

d(mv)/dt = F(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve the problem, I found the differential equation for momentum, taking the momentum at a point in time and then the momentum a moment later, then dividing by a change in time.

This interpretation worked.

View attachment 211726

This interpretation did not work.

View attachment 211727

I don't understand why the second interpretation does not work.

Thanks
I do not understand how you obtained the first equation of the second method. What is your reasoning?

haruspex said:
I do not understand how you obtained the first equation of the second method. What is your reasoning?

I set up a differential equation for the change in momentum in a small change in time, according to the diagrams below. The second setup, when I solve, gives the wrong answer.

IMG_2753.JPG

ecoo said:
I set up a differential equation for the change in momentum in a small change in time, according to the diagrams below. The second setup, when I solve, gives the wrong answer.

View attachment 211728
In the lower left diagram, you have a mass m(t). This appears to be the total mass of fuel burnt so far. But you do not know its total momentum. It is not all at velocity v0-v(t) since v(t) has been changing.

Likes ecoo
haruspex said:
In the lower left diagram, you have a mass m(t). This appears to be the total mass of fuel burnt so far. But you do not know its total momentum. It is not all at velocity v0-v(t) since v(t) has been changing.

I see what you mean, but isn't that taken care of when we have change in time approach 0 (this is my next step to find an expression for change in momentum). And why would that not also apply to the first scenario, where fuel is also leaving while the rocket accelerates?

Last edited:
ecoo said:
isn't that taken care of when we have change in time approach 0
Perhaps, except that if you expand the second equation you find a term m(t)v(t+Δt). That is multiplying the fuel already burnt by the increased velocity, which doesn't make much sense.

Likes ecoo
haruspex said:
Perhaps, except that if you expand the second equation you find a term m(t)v(t+Δt). That is multiplying the fuel already burnt by the increased velocity, which doesn't make much sense.

Thank you for the help. I now understand what you were saying before.

What is a momentum differential equation?

A momentum differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the change in momentum of an object over time. It is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum.

Why is momentum important in physics?

Momentum is important in physics because it is a fundamental quantity that describes the motion of objects. It is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. Momentum is also related to other important physical quantities such as force, velocity, and energy.

How is momentum differential equation used in real-life applications?

Momentum differential equations are used in a wide range of real-life applications, including engineering, physics, and economics. For example, they are used to model the motion of objects in fluids, analyze the stability of structures, and predict the behavior of financial markets.

What is the difference between linear and angular momentum differential equations?

The main difference between linear and angular momentum differential equations is the type of motion they describe. Linear momentum equations apply to objects that move in a straight line, while angular momentum equations apply to objects that rotate around a fixed axis. Additionally, linear momentum is a vector quantity, while angular momentum is a vector quantity.

Can the momentum differential equation be solved analytically?

In some cases, the momentum differential equation can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as integration or differentiation. However, in more complex situations, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution. It ultimately depends on the specific problem and the level of accuracy required.