Momentum Eigenfunction Addition

In summary, two momentum eigenfunctions with different eigenvalues will not always result in a momentum eigenfunction when added together.
Safinaz

Homework Statement

## \psi_1 ## and ## \psi_2 ## are momentum eigenfunctions corresponding to
different momentum eigenvalues ## p_1 \not= p_2 ##. Is ## \psi_1 ## + ## \psi_2 ## also momentum eigenfunction ?

Homework Equations

Is the right answer[/B]

Yes
No
It Depends ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think yes, because

$$ \frac{h}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \psi_1 = p_1 \psi_1, $$
$$ \frac{h}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \psi_2 = p_2 \psi_2, $$
Then
$$ \frac{h}{i} \frac{d}{dx} (\psi_1+\psi_2) = p_1+p_2 (\psi_1+\psi_2), $$

is valid also

Physics news on Phys.org
Think again how you should calculate
$$ \frac{h}{i} \frac{d}{dx} (\psi_1+\psi_2)$$
from
$$ \frac{h}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \psi_1 = p_1 \psi_1, $$
$$ \frac{h}{i} \frac{d}{dx} \psi_2 = p_2 \psi_2, $$

Ya ..

$$ \frac{h}{i} \frac{d}{dx} (\psi_1+\psi_2) = (p_1 \psi_1+ p_2 \psi_2), $$
so ## (\psi_1+\psi_2) ## is not an Eigenfunction .

No, it's not.

What is a momentum eigenfunction?

A momentum eigenfunction is a mathematical function that describes the properties of a particle in motion, specifically its momentum. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which is used to describe the behavior of quantum particles.

How is a momentum eigenfunction related to momentum?

A momentum eigenfunction is directly related to momentum through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The momentum eigenfunction represents the probability distribution of a particle's momentum, and the expectation value of momentum can be calculated from this function.

What are the units of a momentum eigenfunction?

The units of a momentum eigenfunction depend on the specific system being described. In general, the units are inverse of the square root of the units of momentum. For example, if momentum is measured in kilograms times meters per second, the units of a momentum eigenfunction would be inverse of the square root of kilograms times meters per second, or meters to the power of -1/2.

Can a momentum eigenfunction have negative values?

Yes, a momentum eigenfunction can have negative values. In quantum mechanics, the magnitude of the wave function is what determines the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, not the sign of the function. So, negative values of a momentum eigenfunction do not have any physical significance.

How are momentum eigenfunctions used in quantum mechanics?

Momentum eigenfunctions are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in motion, specifically their momentum and position. They are an important tool in calculating the properties and behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules.