1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum/Elastic Collision

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    Consider a frictionless track as shown in Figure P6.48. A block of mass m1 = 5.55 kg is released from A. It makes a head on elastic collision at B with a block of mass m2 = 11.0 kg that is initially at rest. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the collision.

I used to .5mv^2 = mgh to get the velocity of the first block at the bottom. That was 9.9 m/s.

Then I did m1vi + m2vi = m1vf + m2vf => m1vi + 0 = 0 + m2vf to solve for the speed of the second block when the first block has gone back up the ramp and stopped. I then used the energy in the first equation and conservation of energy to solve for the final height.

KE = m1gh + .5m2v2f

But this gave me a height of 4.49 meters which WebAssign says is not correct. Thanks for any help. By the way, it's due at 8:30 EST tomorrow morning.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're conservation of momentum equation is incorrect. Both blocks are moving after the collision, so [tex]m_1 v_1 = m_1 v_1 _f + m_2 v_2 _f[/tex]

Since there are two unknowns, you need two equations. What else do you know to be true for elastic collisions?

I gotta log off, but here's a hint: KINETIC ENERGY.

and there's a really simple way of doing this that doesn't involve squared speeds.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    That energy is conserved. So I use that momentum equation and
    KE = m1v1f^2 + 11v2f^2

Solve for v1f and I get 9.9 and -3.3. So I use -3.3 and plug that into a new KE = PE for the amount of energy that the first block has now. And now I'm getting within 10% of the answer so I rounded badly somewhere. Great........... Thanks for the help.
  5. Oct 18, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, it's not 3.3, it's 3.25. You've got 3 sigs here.

And the easier way I mentioned in the edit to my last post is:

the relative velocity between 2 bodies in a 1-D elastic collision stays constant. So: v1 - v2 = v2' - v1'

try it, it saves lots of time.
  6. Oct 18, 2007 #5
    Ah cool. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I did a quadratic and it was a pain.

I need to look up that equation and stuff cus I don't see off the bat how masses don't matter but ok.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?