1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum, elastic collision

1. Dec 13, 2007 #1
    The drawing shows a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table. Puck A has a mass of 0.023 kg and is moving along the x axis with a velocity of +5.5 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.048 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing.

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/07_32.gif

(Puck A is 65 degrees north of east, puck B is 37 degrees south of east.)

I used MaVa = MaVa(cos 65) + MbVb(cos 37), which gives me
    .1265 = .0097202Va + .03833Vb. Since the total momentum in the Y direction was zero, I also used
    Va(sin 65) = Vb(sin 37)
    Va = .6640Vb or Vb = 1.506Va.

Every time I plug in those numbers I get a wrong value! Am I missing some important concept, or am I just making an algebraic error?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

> I used MaVa = MaVa(cos 65) + MbVb(cos 37)

You Va on RHS should be different from initial Va on LHS.

4. Dec 15, 2007 #3
    Aah, thanks for pointing that out. I had the Va on the LHS as Vo when I did the problem, though, so it didn't change my answer.

5. Dec 15, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

> Va(sin 65) = Vb(sin 37)

Why? It should be MaVasin 65 = MbVbsin 37.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?