Momentum Elastic collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass of two carts (1kg and 3kg) and the potential energy of a spring (24 Joules). The goal is to find the final velocity of the carts after the spring is released. The speaker mentions using equations such as Es=(1/2)K*DeltaX^2, P=M*V, and F*deltaT= Impulse, but notes that some information is missing, such as the spring constant, delta x, and mass. The speaker then uses the equation Ek=.5*m*V^2 and the momentum bar graph to find the velocity. However, they question if their method was correct.
ineedhelp2395
Mass of cart A: 1kg
Mass of Cart B: 3Kg
Spring potential energy: 24 Joules
Two carts are pushed apart when the spring is released.
Thats all the given and I'm suppose to find the final velocity.

I have no idea how to get started.
For me to use Es=(1/2)K*DeltaX^2, i don't have delta x or spring konstant.
For me to use P=M*V, Mass is not give and i don't know the momentum.
The only other equation i have i think that is related to this topic is the impulse equation. F*deltaT= Impulse

Physics news on Phys.org
When i drew the momentum bar graph, i set spring as the impulse so there was no momentum in beging but some at the end.

Now i figured out using lol diagram that es would be equal to ek so then Ek=.5*m*V^2 and found the velocity not using the momentum. Anyone think what i did was wrong?

What is momentum in an elastic collision?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved before and after the collision.

How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system remains constant before and after the collision. This means that the sum of the momentums of all objects involved in the collision is the same before and after the collision.

What is the formula for calculating momentum in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating momentum in an elastic collision is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound.

How does the coefficient of restitution affect an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is the ratio of the relative velocity after the collision to the relative velocity before the collision. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is 1, meaning that there is no loss of kinetic energy. A lower coefficient of restitution indicates a less elastic collision and a higher coefficient of restitution indicates a more elastic collision.