Max Energy Stored in Magnetic Field from Elastic Collision of Carts"

In summary, the maximum energy stored in the magnetic field can be determined by using the conservation of linear momentum and the kinetic energy equations. By setting the initial and final kinetic energies equal to each other and solving for the final velocity, we can then plug that value into the kinetic energy equation to find the energy stored in the magnetic field. It is important to note that the velocities used in the equations are the velocities at the instant when both carts are moving with the same velocity.
hybridized

Homework Statement

A 1.0 Kg cart moving at 4.0 m/s overtakes and collides with a 3.0 kg cart moving in the same direction at 2.0 m/s on the same track. Given that these carts collide elastically due to repelling magnets, determine the maximum energy stored in the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

Ke = 1/2mv^2
Ktotal = Ke + Ke

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys, I have an exam tomorrow and can't seem to figure this out. I found the total kinetic energy in the system, to be at 14 J. However, I do not know what to do from here on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hybridized! Welcome to PF :smile:

At the time when the carts collide, their velocities will be same. Do you see why this is true? :wink:

So if their velocities are the same, I found the Kinetic energy before cart 1 collides, and after cart 2 gets hit. So in that middle is where the energy is stored or at its max? So how would I go on about to calculate the total energy. Exam in 30 mins!

hybridized said:
So in that middle is where the energy is stored or at its max? So how would I go on about to calculate the total energy. Exam in 30 mins!

Yes. Find the kinetic energy at the instant when both are moving with the same velocity. And you already know the initial kinetic energy(before collision). So now, this initial energy is distributed as the kinetic energy when velocities are equal and the energy stored in the magnetic field.

Infinitum said:
Yes. Find the kinetic energy at the instant when both are moving with the same velocity. And you already know the initial kinetic energy(before collision). So now, this initial energy is distributed as the kinetic energy when velocities are equal and the energy stored in the magnetic field.

K so bro, which velocity would I use? Or do I find delta v? to find the kinetic energy when they have the same velocity.

Would you be kind enough to write down the equations i must use to find the total kinetic energy stored? Cause I found the total energy for the two carts, but I'm stuck from there... Which velocity do I use when they are moving at the same speed.

hybridized said:
K so bro, which velocity would I use? Or do I find delta v? to find the kinetic energy when they have the same velocity.

You cannot use a velocity because you need to find the velocity!

But, you sure can use the conservation of linear momentum :wink:

O so, m1+v1 + m2v2 = mtvt

v1 and v1 cancel as they are the same, solve for vt and then plug into 1/2mv^2 and then add to the Ke i found in the beginning ?

hybridized said:
O so, m1+v1 + m2v2 = mtvt

v1 and v1 cancel as they are the same, solve for vt and then plug into 1/2mv^2 and then add to the Ke i found in the beginning ?

Noo...

By conservation of momentum you should have...

[tex]m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = (m_1+m_2)v[/tex]

and not m1+v1..

What is the formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field from an elastic collision of carts?

The formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field from an elastic collision of carts is: E = (1/2)mv^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the cart, and v is the velocity of the cart.

How does the mass of the cart affect the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field?

The mass of the cart directly affects the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field. A heavier cart will have a larger maximum energy stored compared to a lighter cart with the same velocity.

What is the significance of an elastic collision in determining the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the kinetic energy after the collision. This is important in determining the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field, as it allows for a more accurate calculation.

Are there any assumptions made in the calculation of the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field from an elastic collision of carts?

One of the main assumptions made in this calculation is that the collision is perfectly elastic, meaning that there is no energy lost due to friction or other external factors. This assumption may not hold true in real-world scenarios, but it allows for a simplified calculation of the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field.

How can the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field from an elastic collision of carts be applied in real-world situations?

The calculation of the maximum energy stored in a magnetic field from an elastic collision of carts can be applied in various situations, such as in the design of magnetic braking systems for trains and roller coasters or in the study of energy conservation in physics experiments.