Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Momentum entanglment

Tags:
  1. Dec 24, 2017 #1

ftr

In the original EPR paper momentum was giving as an example of entanglement, but I don't see that discussed by any thread or papers for that matter, why is that. What is the technicalities of this entanglement for two electrons for example, is it also instantaneous and why is it not used to study entanglement in experiments. And how does that square with the momentum associated with the charge. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2017 #2
    arXiv:1501.01927
    This paper seems to be exactly what you are asking about... although I haven't read it yet and I'm not sure if I can answer any questions you may have about it.

4. Dec 24, 2017 #3

ftr

Thanks. That is the first paper that I got when I googled, but i wanted some independent comments before I ask about this paper. so thanks again

5. Dec 24, 2017 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

For various practical reasons it's difficult to design reliable experiments around entangled momenta, so the EPR paper had something of the feel of a thought experiment. After it was published, David Bohm pointed out that the EPR argument could just as well be applied to entangled particle spins, and it was clear that similar considerations also applied to entangled photon polarizations.

The basic mathematics are the same for all of these examples of entanglement; it comes down the wave function having the property we call "non-factorizability". It is easier and much less expensive to do experiments with photon polarization, so as long as it's the same math that we're checking either way, that's how we'll do most experiments and that's what gets the most press.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted