1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Explosion Problem

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, this is my first time posting. I'd appreciate any help.
    An object with total mass mtotal = 15.6 kg is sitting at rest when it explodes into three pieces. One piece with mass m1 = 5 kg moves up and to the left at an angle of θ1 = 21° above the –x axis with a speed of v1 = 27.6 m/s. A second piece with mass m2 = 5.5 kg moves down and to the right an angle of θ2 = 26° to the right of the -y axis at a speed of v2 = 20.2 m/s.
    http://smartphysics.com/images/content/mechanics/ch13/explosion3.png [Broken]

What is the x-component and y-component of the velocity of the third piece?
    What is the magnitude of the velocity of the center of mass of the pieces after the collision?

2. Relevant equations
    P = M*V
    conservation of momentum

3. The attempt at a solution

I already found the third mass to equal 5.1kg. Then how I tried finding x and y is kind of lengthy and I don't know if it makes sense, but I'll try to explain.
    I started out with: M(final)V(final) = m1v1 + m2v2 + m3v3
    And then I plugged in what I had. Since it started at rest, I know the left side is equal to zero. Then I tried plugging in what I had, but it's where I started to get confused because of the angles.
    0 = 5*27.6*Vector1 + 5.5*20.2*Vector2 + 5.1*V3*Vector3
    5.1*V3*Vector3 = -5*27.6*Vector1 + -5.5*20.2*Vector2
    Then I flipped the directions the vectors on the left side of the equation were going to make them positive and set up triangles.
    For the first mass I have a triangle with a 21degree angle and solved for the other sides, I knew the hyp would just be m1*v1,
    hyp = 138, opp = 49.45, adj = 128.83
    And I did the same for the second mass
    hyp = 111.1, opp = 99.856, adj = 48.703
    Then I added the x-direction together
    49.45 + -99.856 = -50.406
    and y direction
    -128.83 + 48.703 = -80.127
    And then I set up another triangle and use Pythagorean theorem to find the hyp
    which i got to be 113.51. Then to find the angle I used tan-1(80.127/50.406) and multiplied that by the 113.51 and got 1.24.

My x and y are wrong. And I know it's way too high for velocity, so I also tried divided by the mass, but it's still wrong. I was wondering if I'm anywhere close and where I went wrong. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2
    I found it out. Nevermind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook