Calculating Mass and Velocity of Exploding Object Pieces

In summary, a 50kg object explodes into three pieces with piece 1 flying off at 12m/s [N 30o E] and piece 2 having a velocity of 10m/s [S]. With the masses of piece 1 and piece 2 given as 25kg and 12kg respectively, the mass and velocity of piece 3 can be found by dividing momentum into components and solving from the vector diagram. The correct vector was identified to make the net momentum zero, and the resulting answer is a mass of 15.8kg and a velocity of 15.8 m/s for piece 3.
cvc121

Homework Statement

A 50kg object explodes into three pieces. Piece 1 flies off at 12m/s [N 30o E], piece 2 has velocity 10m/s [ S ]. If the mass of piece 1 is 25kg and piece 2 is 12kg, find the mass and velocity of piece 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is shown below. Can anyone confirm my work? Not sure if my vector diagram is drawn correctly. Thanks! All help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160112_121358[1].jpg
    20160112_121358[1].jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that is correct.
you should divide momentum into components (x and y)

furthermore, what is V3= xxx Kg*m/s ... are kg*m/s a velocity dimension?

The working looks good, solving from the vector diagram. The correct vector was identified that makes the net momentum zero, and its components determined.

The answer should read 15.8 m/s not 15.8 kgm/s. My bad.

cvc121 said:
The answer should read 15.8 m/s not 15.8 kgm/s. My bad.
yeah.. and the answer is correct sorry, my bad.

1. What is a "Momentum Explosion Question"?

A "Momentum Explosion Question" is a term used in science to describe a question that encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills by challenging individuals to think outside the box.

2. How does a "Momentum Explosion Question" differ from a regular question?

Unlike regular questions that have a straightforward answer, a "Momentum Explosion Question" often has multiple possible solutions and requires creative thinking to arrive at the best answer.

3. What are the benefits of using "Momentum Explosion Questions" in scientific research?

Using "Momentum Explosion Questions" can lead to new and innovative ideas, promote teamwork and collaboration, and improve critical thinking skills. They also encourage individuals to think beyond traditional methods and explore new approaches to problem-solving.

4. Can "Momentum Explosion Questions" be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, "Momentum Explosion Questions" can be used in any field that requires critical thinking and problem-solving. They can be especially useful in fields such as engineering, technology, and business.

5. How can I come up with my own "Momentum Explosion Questions"?

To create a "Momentum Explosion Question," start by identifying a problem or challenge that requires creative thinking. Then, ask open-ended questions that encourage individuals to think outside the box and explore different solutions. You can also use prompts or visual aids to stimulate thinking and generate new ideas.