Calculating Velocity of Falling Grenade Fragments: Momentum Equation Solution

In summary, the two masses are falling from the same height and the velocity of each mass is -30.2 ms-1 and 50.3 ms-1. However, the velocity of the mass with the larger mass is not correct.
Pao44445

Homework Statement

A grenade is falling from the height 19.6m .Finding velocity of both masses(fragments), if m1 is equal to 2 times of m2

ddg.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum
v2 = u2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is a pure mathematic problem :/ I can cut the mass out of my equation but I stuck with the velocities of the both masses

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what you need to do is to resolve the m1 and m2 into both x & y component. After that, solve the system by applying the momentum conservation principle at both X and Y component.

Last edited by a moderator:
feynmann93 said:
So, what you need to do is to resolve the m1 and m2 into both x & y component. After that, solve the system by applying the momentum conservation principle at both X and Y component.
I got
m2 about 47
m1 anout 35
lol

Last edited by a moderator:
feynmann93 said:
... I found the velocity of m1 is -30.2ms-1 and m2 is 50.3 ms-1 respectively...
Looking at the horizontal components,
m1 x v1 cos37 should equal 2m1 x v2 cos 53
m1 x 30.2 cos37 = 24.12 m1 and 2m1 x 50.3 cos 53 =60.54 m1 which does not match.

Pao44445 said:
I got m2 about 47 m1 anout 35
I take it, these are the velocities of those masses, so v2 about 47 v1 anout 35, so horizontal components of momentum,
m1 x 35 cos37 = 28 m1 and 2m1 x 47 cos 53 = 57 m1

Perhaps we can see your full working, then have more chance of spotting errors. My own arithmetic juggling is not that good and I had to rework it a couple of times when my checks did not come right. (I managed to swap v1 and v2 on my way through the calculation!)

BTW for the final answer I assume the grenade explodes after it has fallen 19.6m. The question is a bit vague. Maybe it is dropped from 19.6m but explodes halfway down! On the other hand, if it is falling from 19.6m and explodes after it has fallen 19.6m, then it is on the ground and I think that would make a difference.

Edit: removed a comment about the sign of the velocity, which was not helpful.

1. What is the equation used to calculate the velocity of falling grenade fragments?

The equation used to calculate the velocity of falling grenade fragments is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (usually 0 for objects dropped from rest), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time elapsed.

2. How is the momentum equation used to solve for the velocity of falling grenade fragments?

The momentum equation, p = mv, is used to solve for the velocity of falling grenade fragments by equating the initial momentum (which is 0 as the fragments are not moving initially) to the final momentum (which is the mass of the fragments multiplied by the final velocity).

3. What factors can affect the velocity of falling grenade fragments?

The velocity of falling grenade fragments can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the shape and weight of the fragments, and the height from which the grenade is dropped. Wind speed and direction can also play a role in the velocity of the fragments.

4. How does the velocity of falling grenade fragments change over time?

The velocity of falling grenade fragments increases over time due to the constant acceleration of gravity pulling them towards the ground. As the fragments fall, their velocity will continue to increase until they reach their terminal velocity, which is the maximum velocity they can reach due to air resistance balancing out the force of gravity.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the momentum equation to calculate the velocity of falling grenade fragments?

One limitation of using the momentum equation is that it assumes that the fragments are falling in a vacuum, with no air resistance. This is not the case in reality, so the calculated velocity may not be completely accurate. Additionally, the equation assumes that the fragments are falling in a straight line, and does not take into account any changes in direction or rotation of the fragments.