Calculating Final Velocity with Constant Force

In summary, a constant force of 4.0 N to the right acts on a 3.0 kg mass for 0.45 s. The final velocity of the mass is 0.6 m/s if it is initially at rest. If the mass is initially moving along the x-axis with a velocity of 12 m/s to the left, the final velocity is 11.4 m/s to the left. Velocity is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.
mortho

Homework Statement

A constant force of 4.0 N to the right acts on a 3.0 kg mass for 0.45 s.

a)Find the final velocity of the mass if it is initially at rest.

b)Find the final velocity of the mass if it is initially moving along the x-axis with a velocity of 12 m/s to the left.

Homework Equations

F=p/t

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so for the a i got 0.6 using vf=Ft/m and just plugged in. but for b i don't know what to do..need your help thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First part is correct.

Use the formula [itex]F=\frac{mv-mu}{t}[/itex] where m is mass,v is final velocity and u is the initial velocity and t is time.(Newton's 2nd law)

Also remember that velocity is a vector quantity so you should give a direction when you are stating your answers.

ok i used the formula but i have a feeling i calculated it wrong..i got 28 m/s, to the left

[tex]v=\frac{Ft+mu}{m}[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{(4*0.45)+3*-12}{3}[/tex] is that what you did?

which would give you 11.4 ms[itex]^{-1}[/itex] to the left

so... -11.4 but my teacher said none of the answers are to be negative so would i still have the same answer but just without a negative sign?

Well a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. So I just took the right as +ve and left as -ve. so the magnitude of the velocity is 11.4ms^-1

Thanks! i guess my teacher would just assume left and right without the signs..that was a lot of help!:)

What is momentum and final velocity?

Momentum refers to the quantity of motion an object possesses, which is determined by its mass and velocity. Final velocity refers to the speed and direction an object is moving at the end of a given period of time.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is final velocity calculated?

Final velocity can be calculated using the following formula: vf = vi + at, where vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. This formula assumes that acceleration is constant.

What is the relationship between momentum and final velocity?

The final velocity of an object is directly related to its momentum. If the mass of an object remains constant, then an increase in momentum will result in an increase in final velocity. Similarly, a decrease in momentum will result in a decrease in final velocity.

How can momentum and final velocity be applied in real-world situations?

Momentum and final velocity are important concepts in physics and can be applied in various real-world situations. For example, understanding the momentum of a moving car can help in determining the force of impact in a collision. In sports, momentum and final velocity are crucial in determining the trajectory of a ball or the speed of an athlete. In engineering, these concepts are used in designing vehicles and structures to ensure their stability and safety.