Momentum fo two blocks and spring

In summary: Good job!In summary, the question involves a 1.1 kg block at rest on a frictionless surface connected to an unstretched spring (k = 180 N/m). A 2.2 kg block collides with the first one with a speed of 4.0 m/s, and they stick together after the collision. The question asks for the maximum compression of the spring when the blocks momentarily stop. By using the equation m1v1 = m2v2, the velocity of the composite mass is found to be 2.66 m/s. The kinetic energy of the composite mass at maximum compression is equal to the potential energy of the compressed spring, which is calculated using the formula 1/2 kx
lando45
Hey,

I have been set this question and I'm half-way through answering it but am stuck on where to go next...here's the question:

The m1 = 1.1 kg block at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface is connected to an unstretched spring (k = 180 N/m) whose other end is fixed. (See Fig. 10-36.) The m2 = 2.2 kg block whose speed is 4.0 m/s collides with the 1.1 kg block. Assume that the two blocks stick together after the one-dimensional collision. What maximum compression of the spring occurs when the blocks momentarily stop?

10_44alt.gif

Using m1v1 = m2v2 I got:

2.2 x 4.0 = 8.8kg/m/s
The joint mass of the two blocks is 3.3kg so the velocity must be 2.66m/s

But I don't understand how to calculate the spring compression knowing only the velocity and the "k" value of the spring?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

Good. You have the velocity of the composite mass which now presses against the spring.

Hint: What happens to the (composite mass + spring system) as the composite mass moves forward pressing against the spring? What happens to the velocity of the mass at maximum compression? What happens to the initial kinetic energy? Can you relate these two parameters now?

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Vivek

all of your composite mass K.E. is equal to all of the compressed springs ____ energy.

(hint: You have equations that represent these energies...and they are just floating around out there waiting for you to use them...)

Oh right...so at the springs maximum compression, the velocity of the two joint blocks will be 0m/s...so does the composite mass' KE equal the compressed springs PE?

OK so I calculated the KE of the composite mass:

KE = ½mv² = ½ x 3.3 x 2.6² = 11.674J

So is this value supposed to equal the PE of the compressed spring? And if it does, I don't really see how that helps me answer the question, as mgh won't tell me the length of compression...is there a different formula I need to use?

The key with the spring is

an unstretched spring (k = 180 N/m)

Spring force, F = kx, and PE in spring is just the integral of F dx = 1/2 kx2, where x is the displacement from fully relaxed (i.e. no force applied).

The spring reaches maximum deflection when the velocity of blocks = 0, i.e. the KE of the blocks is completely transformed into the stored mechanical energy or PE of the spring.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
The key with the spring is
an unstretched spring (k = 180 N/m)
Spring force, F = kx, and PE in spring is just the integral of F dx = 1/2 kx2, where is the displacement from fully relaxed (i.e. no force applied).
The spring reaches maximum deflection when the velocity of blocks = 0, i.e. the KE of the blocks is completely transformed into the stored mechanical energy or PE of the spring.

Did you mean to write something between "where" and "is"?

x, sorry about that. Post has been corrected.

Ah. So the 11.674J will equal ½kx² so:

½kx² = 11.674 = ½ x 180 x x² = 90 x x²

11.674/90 = x²

x = 0.36m

Is this right do you think?

Help, the deadline for this question is tomorrow, and I only have one submission left so I don't want to waste it...does 0.36m seem correct?

It appears to be correct.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event will be equal to the total momentum after the event.

4. How does momentum apply to two blocks connected by a spring?

In a system of two blocks connected by a spring, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the blocks collide will be equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the distribution of momentum between the two blocks may change.

5. What factors affect the momentum of two blocks connected by a spring?

The momentum of two blocks connected by a spring is affected by the masses of the blocks, the initial velocities of the blocks, and the stiffness of the spring. Other factors, such as external forces, friction, and air resistance, may also affect the momentum of the system.