Can a Particle in a Bounded System Have Momentum in One Direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum in quantum mechanics and its application to a particle in a one-dimensional box. The speaker raises concerns about the renewal of momentum in a bounded system and the difficulty in applying classical definitions to microscopic particles. It is suggested that understanding quantum mechanics should be approached in terms of its own concepts rather than trying to fit it into classical ideas.
Syrus

Homework Statement

Consider a particle in a one-dimensional box whose (time-independent) state is given by
e^ikx. Of course, this corresponds to the particle moving with a momentum of magnitude hk in the positive (let's call it x) direction.

I know momentum in the quantum sense cannot be regarded as momentum in the classical sense. I am struggling to conceive how a particle in such a bounded system can always have momentum in one direction- how can it renew itself when it reaches the right boundary? I am thinking it has something to do with (complex) traveling waves, but i can't put my finger on it. I also looked in a few books on quantum mechanics and was able to find the following lines, which I believe applies to my inquiry somehow:

"In a nutshell: the formal problem with applying the classical definition of momentum to an ensemble of microscopic particles arises because it is impossible to measure the position of such particles without altering their state. This vicissitude is inevitable, because prior to measurement, the particles do not have a position or a momentum."

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is the picture you have in your head of a little ball bouncing back and forth between the walls isn't really a good one when it comes to quantum mechanics. You're trying to understand quantum mechanics in terms of classical concepts but it should be the other way around. Quantum mechanics is the more general theory.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is: momentum = mass x velocity.

What is the unit of measurement for momentum?

The unit of measurement for momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kgm/s) in the International System of Units (SI).

How does momentum affect an object's motion?

Momentum affects an object's motion by determining how much force is needed to change its speed or direction. The greater the momentum, the more difficult it is to change the object's motion.

Is momentum conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.