1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum forumula questions

1. Jan 17, 2006 #1
    i have 3 problems for homework and im stomped. i dont know if the way im solving the problem is right. im using the FT=MV forumla for all 3 problems.

1) a football player of mass 120 kg is travelling at 20 m/s collides with another player and comes to rest in 1.5 s. what is the force of impact?

2) a golf ball of mass 0.050 kg acqyuires a speed of 80 m/s when hit with a force of 3.0 x 10 ^3 n. how long was the club in contact with the ball

3) what force acting for 1.36 x 10 ^-3 will change the velocity of a 95 g baseball from 50.0 m/s east to 45 m/s west?

thanks!? but i just need confirmation on what formula to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

just to clarify when you say FT=MV you do mean [tex]Ft=M\Delta V[/tex]?

4. Jan 17, 2006 #3
    correct i couldnt find the delta symbol

5. Jan 17, 2006 #4
    Yeah, using [tex]F=\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta t}[/tex] will work for all three.

6. Jan 17, 2006 #5
    [​IMG]

can i use that though?

7. Jan 18, 2006 #6
    There isn't any difference between them, other than algebra manipulatioon. [tex]\Delta P = m \Delta v[/tex] since mv is the definition of momentum, and mass is a constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?