1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum four vector of a particle and its speed as a fraction of the speed of light

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the momentum four vector of a particle that has:

Rest mass = 80 Gev/c^2
    Energy = 100 Gev

and moves along the z axis.What is its speed as a fraction of the speed of light.

2. Relevant equations

E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2C^4

3. The attempt at a solution

Momentum four vector - (0, 0, (3*10^10)v, 1.1*10^15) in units of Gev/c

The speed i got was v/c = 1.22*10^-34 but when I double check it, it doesn't seem to match. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, is my four momentum vector wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Momentum four vector of a particle and its speed as a fraction of the speed of li

Welcome to PF twinklestar28!

Your four-vector confuses me a bit. I'm used to seeing the timelike component listed first, but I am assuming that you are using a convention where the timelike component of the vector is the fourth and last one. In any case, using that convention the momentum four-vector is just given by P = (px, py, pz, E/c), where E is the relativistic energy, and (px, py, pz) are the components of the three-momentum, p. In this case, we have px = py = 0, and p = pz = γmv, where v is the velocity (which is entirely in the z-direction). So your four-vector becomes

P = (0, 0, γv(80 GeV/c2), (100 GeV/c) ).

There is no sense converting anything into SI units in any part of this problem. I suspect that's the problem you're having with calculating v/c: the unit conversions. I recommend leaving everything in terms of GeV and just carrying the various factors of c along for the ride in the calculation. In fact, most physicists would use a unit system where c = 1, and everything (mass, momentum, energy) is measured in eV. The pesky factors of c would then disappear from the calculation entirely. In fact, we could write E2 = p2 + m2 in that unit system. But for now, I'll keep all the pesky factors of c in there, to avoid confusing you (I hope). To calculate v/c, start with the equation that you wrote for the relativistic energy:$$E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4$$Solve for p:$$pc = \sqrt{E^2 - m^2c^4} = \sqrt{(100~\textrm{GeV})^2 - (80~\textrm{GeV}/c^2)^2 \cdot c^4}$$Notice that the c's cancel entirely from the second term under the square root, just leaving us with:$$pc = \sqrt{(100~\textrm{GeV})^2 - (80~\textrm{GeV})^2} = 60~\textrm{GeV}$$

So, p = (60 GeV/c). Using this, and the fact that p = γmv, you should be able to solve for v/c, which in turn tells you γ. Again, DON"T plug in values for c in SI units. Just carry the factors of c along for the ride in your algebra.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    Re: Momentum four vector of a particle and its speed as a fraction of the speed of li

Thanks guys! that was a great help. I was getting confused because i thought the four momentum vector had to be in the same units so I was trying to rearrange everything. Thanks a bunch :)

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4

What is the equation for the energy of a particle in its rest frame of reference, in terms of its rest mass and the speed of light? (Hint: Einstein)

What is the equation for the energy of a particle as reckoned from a frame of reference that is not its rest frame, in terms of its rest mass, the speed of light, and the relativity factor γ? (Hint: Planck relationship to include kinetic energy)

One of these energies is your 80 Gev, and the other is your 100 Gev.

6. Aug 22, 2012 #5

I calculated that the velocity was equal to 2.12E5 ms-1.

Hence, as a fraction of c : v = (7.07/10000) c

Would anybody be able to verify this for me?

Thanks in advance

-Epiclier

EDIT: sorry for the bump

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  7. Aug 22, 2012 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you get assigned the same problem as the original poster, or are you just trying it for practice?

Anyway, your answer incorrect, sorry. As I mentioned above, there should never ever be any need to convert to SI units (eg m/s) in this problem, and you should either get γ or v/c directly out as a result. Which one depends on whether you use Chestermiller's method or mine. His is by far simpler.

8. Aug 30, 2012 #7

Ah, I was just doing it for practise. Completely messed it up though.

I got the final answer as
    v=3/5 c
    . Sounds good so I'm guessing thats the right answer?

Thanks again

-Epiclier

9. Aug 31, 2012 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook