1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Help Please

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two people are standing on a very light board that is balanced on a fulcrum. The lighter person suddenly jumps straight up at . Just after he jumps, how fast will the heavier person be moving?

2. Relevant equations
    M1*(Vf1) + M2*(Vf2) = M1(Vi1) + M2(Vi2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using this equation but I did not get a likely solution I think I should include the distance that the two man are apart but I do not know what to do with that.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I believe you need to use conservation of angular momentum about the pivot of the fulcrum... the torque about the pivot is 0... hence the angular momentum isn't changing... we can't use conservation of linear momentum because of the external forces like gravity and the force exerted at the pivot of the fulcrum.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #3
    so i know the mass of both men and the tangential velocity for one of them so from that point do I set the following equation equal to one another to solve for tangential velocity of the second man.

L(angular momentum)=m*r*v(tangential velocity)

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4
    Thanks i figured it out using that equation but r should be r^2 for both sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?