Solving Momentum Conservation: Finding Velocity & Direction

In summary, the large predator fish was coasting from west to east at 70.0 cm/s when it suddenly snapped up a 1.15 kg fish swimming from north to south at 3.60 m/s. The large fish's momentum was 12.89 and the direction of the 'after' velocity was determined to be northwest.
scott.leever
This is my first time to use this template by the way...

1. A hungry 12.5 kg predator fish is coasting from west to east at 70.0 cm/s} when it suddenly swallows a 1.15 kg} fish swimming from north to south at 3.60 m/s.

Find the magnitude of the velocity of the large fish just after it snapped up this meal. Neglect any effects due to the drag of the water.

Find the direction of the velocity of the large fish just after it snapped up this meal.

2.conservation of momentum, p=m/v

3. (12.5kg)(.7m/s)+(1.15)(3.6) = total momentum= 12.89, then i got the total mass by adding 12.5+1.15... i use the equation p=m/v and solve for the veolicity.

I get the wrong answer here and I am not sure how to find the direction..

THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the two fish are traveling in different directions, you can't just add up the two momentums and get 12.89. Since one is traveling west to east (hint: along the 'x' axis) and the other north to south (in the direction of the 'y' axis), you have to calculate the two separately, then figure out the velocities after the 'meal' to get the direction and magnitude of the 'after' velocity.

ok so i calculate the that the one moving on the x-axis is 8.75, and the one moving on the y-axis at 4.14, then do i square them, add them together, and then take the square root to get the "after" velocity?

Not quite. (I'm a little shaky on this). You have to do the x and y separately, so you have 8.75 x and 4.14 y. So, on the other side of the equation, the x has to equal 8.75, but now the 'm' of the mv is 12.5 + 1.15, which is 13.65. So the 'v' in the x direction is

[tex]\frac{8.75}{13.65}[/tex]

Do the same for the 'y'.

Then, you do the square root of the sum of the squares of the velocities to get 'the' velocity. Then you use trig to get the angle.

Let me know if you run into problems.

1. How do you calculate momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is calculated using the equation pi = pf, where pi represents the initial momentum and pf represents the final momentum.

2. What is the formula for finding velocity in momentum conservation?

The formula for finding velocity in momentum conservation is v = p/m, where v represents velocity, p represents momentum, and m represents mass.

3. How do you find the direction of an object's momentum?

The direction of an object's momentum can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your fingers in the direction of the object's velocity and curl them towards the direction of its momentum. Your thumb will then point in the direction of the object's momentum.

4. Can momentum be conserved in an isolated system?

Yes, momentum is always conserved in an isolated system, meaning that the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

5. What are some real-life applications of momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation has many real-life applications, including in sports (such as billiards or baseball), in car accidents, and in rocket launches. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of particles in collisions and explosions.