Help Solve Momentum Problem with Inclined Plane & Spring

• Thread starter Blade707
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 1.00 kg with a coiled spring and a ball of mass 0.250 kg on a frictionless inclined plane. After the spring is released, the ball travels horizontally and strikes the ground 3.00 m away from the release point. The questions are: how far does the block move along the plane and how much energy was initially stored in the spring? To solve this, conservation of energy and momentum must be used. The initial equations set up for the block and ball have three unknowns, but the mistake is assuming that all the spring energy goes into the block. The correct approach is to treat the expanding spring as an explosion, using projectile motion to find the initial
Blade707
Please Help! (Momentum I Think)

Could someone help me with this problem? I'd greatly appreciate it!

A block of mass M = 1.00 kg contains a coiled spring and a ball of mass m = 0.250 kg.
The spring is released when the block-ball system is at rest on the edge of a frictionless
plane inclined 20 degrees from the horizontal. The ball, initially 2.00 m above the horizontal
floor, strikes the floor a horizontal distance of 3.00 m from the release point. How far
along the plane does the block move? How much energy was initially stored within the
spring?

(Picture attached)

I've tried summing forces, conservation of enrgy, conservation of momentum, and I can't work it out. Any little hint helps! Thanks!

Attachments

• Ball.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 188
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've done so far. You'll need projectile motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum to crack this one.

For conservation of energy I was looking at the block and had:
(1/2)kx^2=mgh
K is the spring constant, x the spring compression, m mass, g gravity, and h the hieght the block will get on the slope by the time its kenetic energy is 0. Still I have three unknowns.

For the ball:
(1/2)kx^2+2mg=(1/2)mv^2 (spring potential + gravitational potential=kenetic)

In these two equations k and x are the same, but I still have v and h.

I tried using this momentum equation, but it could be wrong:
mv(block)+mv(Ball)=mu(Block)+mu(Ball)
v equals initial velocity, and u final. The initials were 0, so I had:
mu(block)=-mu(Ball) but I'm not sure if this relationship is worth anything, or even correct.

Blade707 said:
For conservation of energy I was looking at the block and had:
(1/2)kx^2=mgh
K is the spring constant, x the spring compression, m mass, g gravity, and h the hieght the block will get on the slope by the time its kenetic energy is 0. Still I have three unknowns.
A mistake here is thinking that all the spring energy goes into the block. What about the ball?

For the ball:
(1/2)kx^2+2mg=(1/2)mv^2 (spring potential + gravitational potential=kenetic)

In these two equations k and x are the same, but I still have v and h.
Think of the expanding spring as an "explosion": You start out with spring PE and end up with KE of block and ball. (After the spring expansion the ball shoots off and the block rises. Treat that separately.)

I tried using this momentum equation, but it could be wrong:
mv(block)+mv(Ball)=mu(Block)+mu(Ball)
v equals initial velocity, and u final. The initials were 0, so I had:
mu(block)=-mu(Ball) but I'm not sure if this relationship is worth anything, or even correct.
You'll definitely need this. Use it to find the relationship between the initial speeds (immediately after the spring expansion) of block and ball.

Hint: Use what you know about projectile motion to figure out the initial speed of the ball after the spring expands.

The thing I can't get is the projectile motion, and it should be the easiest part! I feel so stupid.
I tried using x=x(o)+v(o)t+(1/2)at^2
In the Y direction I had:
2=-vsin(20)+(.5*-9.8)t^2 but with this i don't know v or t and I don't know how to set up an x equation as it has an acceleration applied.

Wait I was being really stupid. The x acceleration is 0 isn't it? now the problem is I don't know what to do with that velocity!

Blade707 said:
The thing I can't get is the projectile motion, and it should be the easiest part! I feel so stupid.
I tried using x=x(o)+v(o)t+(1/2)at^2
As you realized, the horizontal acceleration is 0. Fix this equation, putting in the correct initial speed (horizontal component, in terms of v and the angle) and final position.
In the Y direction I had:
2=-vsin(20)+(.5*-9.8)t^2 but with this i don't know v or t and I don't know how to set up an x equation as it has an acceleration applied.
This is the right idea. Two errors: That final y position should be -2; you left out a factor a t.

You'll have two equations and two unknowns (v and t): Solve!

Blade707 said:
Wait I was being really stupid. The x acceleration is 0 isn't it? now the problem is I don't know what to do with that velocity!
See above.

Thanks for all your help I think I solved it.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inclined plane and spring system?

In a closed system like an inclined plane and spring, momentum is conserved through elastic collisions between the objects involved. This means that the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same.

3. What factors affect the momentum in an inclined plane and spring system?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved are the main factors that affect momentum in this system. The angle of the inclined plane and the spring constant also play a role in determining the final momentum.

4. How do you solve a momentum problem with an inclined plane and spring?

To solve a momentum problem with an inclined plane and spring, you need to set up and solve equations based on the conservation of momentum and energy. This involves using the mass, velocity, and angle of the inclined plane to determine the final momentum of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving momentum problems with inclined planes and springs?

Inclined planes and springs are commonly used in engineering and physics experiments to study the concepts of momentum and energy. These principles also have practical applications in areas such as transportation and sports, where understanding momentum can help improve efficiency and performance.