Momentum, Impulse, and Collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bat striking a baseball and finding the horizontal and vertical components of the average force on the ball. The concept of momentum is mentioned and it is suggested to treat the x and y components separately from the start. The equation F = p/t is also mentioned as a way to find the force.
einahpets
How would I go about this problem? Any advice would be really helpful, please.
A bat strikes a 0.154 kg baseball. Just before the impact, the ball is traveling horizontally to the right at 50m/s, and it leaves the bat traveling to the left at an angle of 30 degrees about the horizontal with a speed of 65m/s. If the ball and bat are in contact for 1.75ms, find the horizontal and vertical components of the average force on the ball.

How would you include the concept of momentum in this problem, and is F=ma needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong but I think you use net force = change in momentum/ change in time. F = p/t or F=mv1-mv2/t, and once you have the force you can find the x and y component.

you SHOULD treat the x and y components separately from the start.

Sum of F = ma is a special case of p_i + (Sum of F)dt = p_f .

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In simpler terms, momentum is the quantity of motion an object has.

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum that occurs when a force is applied to an object for a certain amount of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time it is applied for.

How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without losing any energy.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound.