1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum/Impulse force vectors

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    Hi friends,
    I am preparing for my exam and i am stuck with this problem, please help me out.
    It wont take too long, I hope.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two bodies A and B have masses mA and mB respectively and collide completely inelastic.
    Given that the mass of body A is 1200 kg and body B is 800 kg determine the avergage force vectors acting on each body during the collision. The collision itself lasts for 0.2 s.

2. Relevant equations
    Velocity of body A: (5i + 3j) m/s
    Velocity of body B: (-i + 4j) m/s

Common velocity after collision I found to be: (2.6i + 3.4j) m/s (this eq was derived in a previous question with mA = 3/2 mB)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I have tried using the momentum impulse theorem only to find out that the total momentum was conserved, which is good indeed. However I dont know how to find the answer I have kind of like used up my knowledge on impulse.
    The answer is (-14400i + 2400j) N.
    I have no clue how this answer was derived.
    Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To find the force on a given body, use the impulse-momentum theorem:

[tex]\vec{F}\Delta t = \Delta (m\vec{v})[/tex]

What's the change in momentum of body A?

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    I have tried this equation but I just seem to get -4000i+16000j. But this seems to be wrong.
    Any further advice? I mean I substituted the final momentum from the initial momentum of A and divided by time, which however is initial momentum of B.
    Doesnt make sense. Please help

5. Jan 17, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Do it step by step:
    (1) Find the change in velocity of A. (Final velocity minus initial.)
    (2) Then find the change in momentum.
    (3) Then the force.

6. Jan 19, 2009 #5
    Hi Doc Al,
    I am really sorry for the late response but I was so busy studying that i havent been able to check the post.
    THank you very much for your help, I finally got it (actually right now). I followed your steps and I am really thankful for your help.

7. Jan 19, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Excellent. (And you are very welcome.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?