How to Calculate Initial Velocity in an Inelastic Collision?

• Thread starter harelo
  • Start date
In summary, Homework Equations state that the velocity of Car A before impact is equal to the velocity of Car B after impact.
harelo

Homework Statement

So my problem says: "Car A (in a frictionless surface) travels at a velocity and weighs 4000 kg, Car B is parked and weighs 3000 KG, they collide in an inelastic collision (meaning they stick together) and they move a distance of 2.8 M together."

Homework Equations

Find the velocity of the Car A before impact

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to approach this through momentum/impulse/work/energy, but I have no clue how to do it since I am missing so much information. Thank you for any help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a variable you need and you aren't given a numeric value, then just give it a symbolic name, like 'v'=velocity. Similarly for coefficient of friction, and give the answer in terms of those unknowns. That's all you can do.

|m1| =======> |m2| --------------> |m1+m2|

V1= ?
V2= 0
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 2.8 m
V = ?

Find V1

so I know that since this is an inelastic collision, the conservation of momentum would look like:

m1V1 = (m1+m2)V

However, I'm missing two variables, I do know that:

m1V1 = F[tex]\Delta[/tex]d

Then again, I am still missing F, so I've tried to use numerous kinematic equations with no success..

I'm sorry for not having any more work, but this is all I can do :( I would really appreciate some help.

Ok no matter what I try I can't find anything, I don't have any force, any time, velocity nor work I can work with, so I just can't find a possible numerical answer for this. I'm pretty much begging for help now, as lame as it sounds.

I can't find a numerical answer for that either. You don't have enough information to do that, as I think you know. To know F you need to know a friction coefficient. You can't get a numerical answer unless you've overlooked that it is part of a multipart question where you were given these numbers. Relax.

Maaan... this is typical of my physics teacher, sorry for cause trouble

Asking a question does not constitute causing trouble.

Would any Potential Energy be produced in this case?

For there to be 'potential' energy there has to be a potential to work against, like gravitation or a spring, or some such thing. I don't see anything like that here.

thought so... then I'm out of options, I only have masses which I can find the kinetic ration with (KEf/KEi), but that won't do much.

The only way there is a numerical answer forthcoming is if you have omitted information pertaining to the problem. As I said, you can only express the answer in terms of an unknown 'v' and 'mu'.

alright, thanks a lot and I'm pretty sure this is not the last you'll see of me.

i think i can do this here is how u do this
4000(v)+3000(0)= (3000+4000)2.8
4000v=19600
v=19600/4000
v=4.9m/s
i think this is the right answer
base on the law of conservation of momentum, momentum before have to be equal to momentum after

haha said:
4000v=19600
v=19600/4000
v=4.9m/s

That's fine. If the statement is "the final velocity is 2.8m/sec". Which is not the question posed. Is that what the question is, harelo?

haha said:
4000v=19600
v=19600/4000
v=4.9m/s

How did you just replace the final combined velocity with the distance covered by both cars?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is impulse?

Impulse is a change in momentum, and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied. It is also a vector quantity, and has the same direction as the force applied.

What is the relationship between momentum and impulse?

Momentum and impulse are directly proportional to each other. This means that if the momentum of an object increases, the impulse applied to the object must also increase, and vice versa.

How is momentum/impulse conserved in a system?

In a closed system, the total momentum and impulse of all objects involved will remain constant, meaning that the initial momentum and impulse must equal the final momentum and impulse. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum/impulse.

What are some real-life examples of momentum and impulse?

Some examples of momentum and impulse in everyday life include a baseball player hitting a ball, a car crash, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool. In each of these situations, there is a change in momentum and/or impulse due to an applied force and a change in velocity.