1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum in 2 dimensions

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    Well, I have been studying Work and Energy for a few days now. I started reading about momentum in 2 dimensions, but i can't seem to understand a thing! I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3
    well. i have difficulty in understanding the problem questions. For eg: when 2 objects collide they go in different directions with different angles, and the question is to find the velocity. I have difficulty in analysing the problem and drawing the diagram with the vectors.

5. Oct 22, 2007 #4
    There is a systematic way to deal with that kind of a problem.
    First: Define a coordinate system. Choose a convenient x-axis and y-axis, such that you'd have to take the minmum number of components. And the ones that you take, can be easily found out using some trig.
    Second: The component method works because, components are scalars, they can be added and subtracted like any other number. So write down the x and y components of the velocities of the bodies before (say a collision) and after. Use the conservation laws for conserving the momentum in the x axis and the y axis. (Never mix them up!)
    Now, when you get the final components that you need, say a final velocity, or angle etc. Just change the components back to the vector form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?