1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum in 2 dimensions

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    Two rolling golf balls of the same mass collide. The velocity of one ball is initially 2.7m/s (E). After the collision, the velocities of the balls are 2.49m/s(62.8 N of W) and 2.37m/s (69.2 S of E). What is the initial velocity of the second ball?

So i know that the masses are the same, and the initial velociy of the 1st ball.
    Hence by using the conservation of momentum formula, I get
    v_2= (V_1+V_2)v1
    (here, the capital V's r the final velocities and the small v's are the initial velocities)
    So now if it was one dimension, it straight forward. But since this is 2-dimensional, its confusing.

I know we have to draw somthing like a vector diagram. So, i tried doing that.
    I tried attaching the file but I can't seem to do it. So, i'll try to explain the my diagram in words!

So one ball is moving in the north west direction, the other in the south east. I drew a line frm the centre of the 1st ball going NW. Thats V_1. With that line as the hypotunese, i drew V_1x and V_1y. And the angle betwee V_1y and V_1 is 62.8 degrees. SO i used cos and sine to figure out V_1x and V_1y. I did the same thing for the 2nd ball..This is all i could do...Any help..
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2
    Define an x-axis, say the West-East line, then Nort-South is your y-axis. The resolve everything along those two axes, and work with conservation of momentum in those directions.
  4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    i still don't get it..ok..so i know the final velocities of both the golf balls. Hence i found the components of each final velocity.
    V1x= Sin(62.5)V1, V1y= Cos(62.5)V1
    V2x= Cos(69.2)V2, V2y= Sin(69.2)V2
    And by using the conservation of momentum formula, i got v2= (V1=+V2)/v1
  5. Oct 23, 2007 #4
    so now if i take the y components of each, i'll get
    But v1y should be zero too yes..?..This is what i could do...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?