How Is Momentum Conserved in a Two-Dimensional Radioactive Decay?

In summary: The right hand side is the speed of the nucleus times its final mass. In summary, a radioactive nucleus of mass 5 × 10–26 kg emitted two neutrons with speeds of 360 m s–1 each, resulting in a recoil speed of 17.39 m s–1 for the nucleus. The formula used was m1u1 + m2u2 = m2v2 + m2v2.
Procrastinate
A radioactive nucleus of mass 5 × 10–26 kg is at rest and emits two neutrons,
each of mass 1.6 × 10–27 kg, at right angles to each other. If both have speeds of
360 m s–1, calculate the recoil speed of the nucleus.

I named calculated the neutrons and named them p1 and p2.
Since p1 = p2
Therefore the momentum of both equals 1.8x10-26

Using Pythagoras, I worked out the overall momentum to be 2.55x10-26

I then used the formula m1v1 = m2v2 and worked out the velocity to be 509-510ms-1; I didn't bother working out the angle because that was already the wrong answer. The real answer is 17.39ms-1.

What have I done wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Check these two calculations. They are wrong.

rl.bhat said:

Check these two calculations. They are wrong.

It turns out I just got mixed up with the numbers and exponents. Thanks.

Is my formula for this correct by the way (I'll count the two neutrons as one mass)?

m1u1 + m2u2 = m2v2 + m2v2

Procrastinate said:
It turns out I just got mixed up with the numbers and exponents. Thanks.

Is my formula for this correct by the way (I'll count the two neutrons as one mass)?

m1u1 + m2u2 = m2v2 + m2v2
The formula is correct. The left hand side is zero. After emission the mass of the nucleus is reduced by two times the mass of the neutrons.

1. What is momentum in 2 dimensions?

Momentum in 2 dimensions is a measure of the quantity of motion possessed by an object in two perpendicular directions. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object in two dimensions.

2. How is momentum in 2 dimensions calculated?

The formula for calculating momentum in 2 dimensions is p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity in two dimensions.

3. What is the conservation of momentum in 2 dimensions?

The conservation of momentum in 2 dimensions states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction, as long as no external forces are present.

4. How does momentum in 2 dimensions relate to Newton's laws of motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that in two dimensions, the net force in the x-direction is equal to the change in momentum in the x-direction, and the net force in the y-direction is equal to the change in momentum in the y-direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of momentum in 2 dimensions?

Momentum in 2 dimensions is important in understanding the motion of objects in sports, such as a soccer ball being kicked into the air or a baseball being hit by a bat. It is also crucial in determining the trajectory of objects in projectile motion, such as a rocket launching into space. Additionally, momentum in 2 dimensions is used in the design and testing of vehicles, such as airplanes and cars, to ensure they have the necessary momentum to move in multiple directions.