How Can I Calculate the Magnitude of Momentum in a Game of Pool?

In summary: Vcostheta*sin(theta)?first, balls momentum along y-axis was directed in positive direction, after bounce - in negative. So Py(1) = +.4233 N*s and Py(2) = -.4233 N*s. What is the change in momentum then?
VitaX

Homework Statement

25gtrf4.jpg

Homework Equations

Px = mVcostheta
Py = mVsintheta
Theta = tan-1(y/x)
Magnitude of P = (Px^2 + Py^2)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Px = .165*2.84cos64.6 = .201 N*s
Py = .165*2.84sin64.6 = .4233 N*s
a) Theta2 = tan-1(-.4233/.201) = 64.6 degrees

b) (.201^2+.4233^2)^(1/2) = .4686 N*s

My work for part a may just have been luck or not needed but I obviously did something wrong since my answer in part b is wrong. Did I use wrong numbers for part b? Or am I supposed to calculate something else then find the magnitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, part (b) asks you to find change in linear momentum, not the magnitude of linear momentum (what you have done). See in the picture, linear momentum is a vector, those two arrows represent linear momentum before ball hits the wall and after. Directions are different, aren't they? ;] so linear momentum has changed, not in magnitude, but in direction. As problem statement says, only y part of momentum has changed. So just find this change in momentum

housemartin said:
well, part (b) asks you to find change in linear momentum, not the magnitude of linear momentum (what you have done). See in the picture, linear momentum is a vector, those two arrows represent linear momentum before ball hits the wall and after. Directions are different, aren't they? ;] so linear momentum has changed, not in magnitude, but in direction. As problem statement says, only y part of momentum has changed. So just find this change in momentum

Wait so if I get what you are saying. It is just putting a negative sign on the Momentum I found in the y direction of part a and having that be my answer for part b? To me that's the only logical answer unless I'm not understanding something. Is that right or wrong?

first, balls momentum along y-axis was directed in positive direction, after bounce - in negative. So Py(1) = +.4233 N*s and Py(2) = -.4233 N*s. What is the change in momentum then?

Is the change in momentum = P1*P2cos(theta)

What is momentum in a game of Pool?

Momentum in a game of Pool refers to the tendency of an object in motion to continue moving in the same direction with the same speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

How does momentum affect the game of Pool?

Momentum plays a crucial role in the game of Pool as it determines the trajectory and speed of the cue ball and the object balls on the table. It can greatly impact the outcome of shots and ultimately, the outcome of the game.

What factors can affect momentum in a game of Pool?

Several factors can affect momentum in a game of Pool, such as the weight and size of the cue ball, the force and direction of the strike, the friction of the table surface, and the collision between the balls.

How can players control momentum in a game of Pool?

Players can control momentum in a game of Pool by accurately striking the cue ball with the right amount of force and direction, using spin and English to influence the path of the ball, and strategically planning shots to minimize the momentum of the object balls.

Why is understanding momentum important in playing Pool?

Understanding momentum is important in playing Pool because it allows players to predict the movement of the balls and make precise shots. It also helps players strategize and adjust their shots to gain an advantage over their opponents.