Finding the Angle and Speed in a Game of Pool

In summary: Yes: general rule …give unknown things (like angle or velocity) letters such as θ or v, and just plough ahead, writing all the equations. :smile:Often it's messy, and you have two or more equations that you have to solve simultaneously, and you can't see where you're going until you get there! :redface:But you can always help by choosing your original direction so as to make the equations simpler … in this case by choosing (and it is a choice, it's not compulsory!) 0 angle as the initial direction of the cue ball.
VitaX

Homework Statement

In a game of pool, the cue ball strikes another ball of the same mass and initially at rest. After the collision, the cue ball moves at 3.10 m/s along a line making an angle of 27.0° with its original direction of motion, and the second ball has a speed of 2.30 m/s. Find (a) the angle between the direction of motion of the second ball and the original direction of motion of the cue ball and (b) the original speed of the cue ball.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to solve this at all. Only thing I am sure of is my drawing. What steps do I use to go about finding the angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi VitaX! :smile:

Call the angle θ, do x and y components of momentum (separately), and solve. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Call the angle θ, do x and y components of momentum (separately), and solve. :wink:

My teacher told me this through an email:

m v1i cos 0 + m(0) = m (3.1) cos 27 + m (2.3) cos (theta 2) ... (1)

m v1i sin 0 + m(0) = m (3.1) sin 27 - m (2.3) sin (theta 2) ... (2)

I see that here mass is irrelevant so it all cancels out. Why in the 2nd equation is it minus 2.3m*sin(theta) instead of plus? Is it just to make sure the angle I get comes out to be positive instead of negative?

Last edited:

(what happened to that θ i gave you? :confused:)
VitaX said:
Why in the 2nd equation is it minus 2.3m*sin(theta) instead of plus? Is it just to make sure the angle I get comes out to be positive instead of negative?

ah, I expect you drew the diagram logically, and measured both angles anti-clockwise from the right, as usual …

that makes one angle positive, and the other (θ2) negative.

But usuallly we draw the diagram realistically, with the the balls (or whatever) going the way we expect, ie one ball goes to the left, so the other must go to the right, so we draw it that way …

that of course makes θ2 positive (which, as you suggested, is the purpose)! :wink:

It really makes no difference … if you substitute -θ2 for θ2 in the equation, you get the same actual results. :smile:

(btw, what did you not see before the teacher emailed you? would you be able to do a similar problem in future, or is there still something worrying you about it?)​

tiny-tim said:

(what happened to that θ i gave you? :confused:)

ah, I expect you drew the diagram logically, and measured both angles anti-clockwise from the right, as usual …

that makes one angle positive, and the other (θ2) negative.

But usuallly we draw the diagram realistically, with the the balls (or whatever) going the way we expect, ie one ball goes to the left, so the other must go to the right, so we draw it that way …

that of course makes θ2 positive (which, as you suggested, is the purpose)! :wink:

It really makes no difference … if you substitute -θ2 for θ2 in the equation, you get the same actual results. :smile:

(btw, what did you not see before the teacher emailed you? would you be able to do a similar problem in future, or is there still something worrying you about it?)​

I knew it was conservation of momentum. But I would not have known that you have to write the components for x and y utilizing the angles given. That was where I was confused. I suspect that the angle is 0 at the initial because that's the path the ball is taking up until it hits the ball at rest.

VitaX said:
I knew it was conservation of momentum. But I would not have known that you have to write the components for x and y utilizing the angles given. That was where I was confused. I suspect that the angle is 0 at the initial because that's the path the ball is taking up until it hits the ball at rest.

Yes: general rule …

give unknown things (like angle or velocity) letters such as θ or v, and just plough ahead, writing all the equations.

Often it's messy, and you have two or more equations that you have to solve simultaneously, and you can't see where you're going until you get there! :redface:

But you can always help by choosing your original direction so as to make the equations simpler … in this case by choosing (and it is a choice, it's not compulsory!) 0 angle as the initial direction of the cue ball. :wink:

1. What is momentum in a game of pool?

Momentum in a game of pool refers to the quantity of motion of a pool ball. It is a measure of the ball's velocity and mass, and is directly related to how much force is required to change the ball's speed or direction.

2. How is momentum calculated in a game of pool?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the ball by its velocity. In pool, the standard unit of mass is the ounce, and the standard unit of velocity is feet per second. Therefore, momentum is measured in units of ounce-feet per second.

3. How does momentum affect the outcome of a shot in pool?

Momentum plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a shot in pool. When a cue ball strikes another ball, the momentum of the cue ball is transferred to the other ball, causing it to move. The direction and speed of the ball after impact is determined by the direction and speed of the cue ball, as well as the mass of the ball that was struck. This is why understanding and controlling momentum is key to making successful shots in pool.

4. Can momentum be changed during a game of pool?

Yes, momentum can be changed during a game of pool. This can be done by applying force to the cue ball, either through the cue stick or through the use of spin. The angle and strength of the shot, as well as the type of spin applied, can all affect the momentum of the cue ball and the subsequent outcome of the shot.

5. How does friction affect momentum in a game of pool?

Friction can have a significant impact on momentum in a game of pool. When a cue ball strikes another ball, it must overcome the friction between the two balls in order to transfer its momentum. Friction can also cause the cue ball to slow down or change direction after impact, which can affect the outcome of the shot. Skilled players must take into account the amount of friction present on the table in order to accurately predict the momentum of the balls and make successful shots.