Calculating Momentum and Velocity in a Head-On Car Collision

In summary, when a car of mass 2.0 × 10³ kg moving at 9.0 m/s collides head on with a second car having a mass of 1.5 × 10³ kg, the cars lock and come to rest at the point of collision. Using conservation of momentum, the velocity of the second car before collision can be solved for as -12 m/s, and its momentum before the collision was 1.8 × 10^4 kg×m/s.
Jimbo113453
When a car of mass 2.0 × 10³ kg moving at 9.0 m/s collides head on with a second car having a mass of 1.5 × 10³ kg, the cars lock and come to rest at the point of collision. (a) What was the momentum of the second car before the collision? (b) What was the velocity of the second car before collision?

I think this means that F of the first car equals F of the second car. So solve for F of the first car with F = ma. What's the acceleration though? :s Once I get that, equal it to (acceleration of second car)(1.5 × 10³). I can solve for the velocity of the second car somehow I think. Then I could get momentum with p = mv.

Excuse my ignorance. Physics is not my cup of tea. =(

Physics news on Phys.org
u don't need to use F in this problem at all. its all about momentum.
yes u can solve for the velocity of the second car using conservation of momentum:
Pi = Pf
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1fv1f + m2fv2f
since they come to rest after collision the final momentum is 0.
so m1v1 = -m2v2

i think u can solve it from now.

m1v1 = m2v2
(2000 kg)(9.0 m/s) = -(1500 kg)(v2f)
v2 = -12 m/s

mv = p
(1500 kg)(12 m/s) = 1.8 × 10^4 kg×m/s

Last edited:
i won't check it with a calculator, but i see u got the point. :)

Thanks. =D

1. What is momentum in a car collision?

Momentum in a car collision refers to the quantity of motion that an object has due to its mass and velocity. In simpler terms, it is the force that propels a moving object forward.

2. How is momentum calculated in a car collision?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In a car collision, the momentum before and after the collision is equal.

3. Why is momentum important in car collisions?

Momentum is important in car collisions because it determines the severity of the impact and the resulting damage. The higher the momentum of a car, the more force it will exert on another object, such as another car or a stationary object.

4. How does momentum affect the outcome of a car collision?

The outcome of a car collision is affected by the momentum of the vehicles involved. If the momentum is high, the impact will be more severe, resulting in more damage and potentially serious injuries. On the other hand, a lower momentum may result in a less severe collision.

5. Can the momentum of a car be changed during a collision?

The momentum of a car cannot be changed during a collision. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless an external force acts upon it. In a car collision, the total momentum of the cars before and after the collision will be the same, even if the direction of the momentum changes.