Calculate Space Momentum: Vi, V1f, V2f

In summary, the astronaut, weighing 90 kg, is carrying a 1.0 kg TV camera and a 10 kg battery pack while floating in space. To increase his speed towards his ship, he hurls the camera at 19 m/s and the battery at 14 m/s in the same direction. The resulting increase in his speed after throwing the camera is 1.9 m/s and after throwing the battery is 1.4 m/s. The equation (M1+M2)Vi=M1 V1f + M2 V2f is used in this scenario, but values do not need to be assigned to the velocities. The final velocity of the astronaut after throwing the battery, V2f, is
uno
1. A 90 kg astronaut floating out in space is carrying a 1.0 kg TV camera and a 10 kg battery pack. He's drifting toward his ship but, in order to get back faster, he hurls the camera out into space (away from the space ship) at 19 m/s and then throws the battery at 14 m/s in the same direction. What's the resulting increase in his speed after each throw?

After throwing the camera?
After throwing the battery?

2. I believe this equation is used: (M1+M2)Vi=M1 V1f + M2 V2f

3. I am having difficulty assigning values to Vi, V1f and V2f. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. You don't actually assign values to the velocities.

What is V2f in terms of Vi?

I got it. Thanks.

What is space momentum and why is it important to calculate?

Space momentum is the measure of an object's motion in space. It is important to calculate because it allows us to understand and predict the movement of objects in space, such as spacecraft and satellites.

What are the variables needed to calculate space momentum?

The variables needed to calculate space momentum are the initial velocity (Vi), final velocity of the first object (V1f), and final velocity of the second object (V2f).

How do you calculate space momentum?

To calculate space momentum, you can use the equation p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In the case of calculating space momentum, you would use the initial and final velocities of the objects instead of just one velocity value.

Can space momentum be negative?

Yes, space momentum can be negative. This occurs when the direction of an object's motion is opposite to its initial direction of motion. It is important to pay attention to the direction of velocity when calculating space momentum.

What is the unit of measurement for space momentum?

The unit of measurement for space momentum is kg*m/s. It is a combination of mass (kg) and velocity (m/s).