1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum/Inertia of a bike

1. Dec 24, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone, happy christmas

I am working on a project looking into the inertial feel of a bicycle. The overall aim is to calculate the inertia of a bike and rider and to consider how this inertia feel can be recreated in an exercise bike and to quantify the differences through testing. In order to do this I need to caluclate the inertia/momentum of a real bike and caluclate the inertia/momentum of a cycling ergometer. (I am not really sure what the difference is between inertia and momentum in terms of cycling and how it relates to feel)

The thing I am unsure about is what is the inertia, (is it a quantity or is it something that a cyclist feels) and how can it be calclated? Do I need to calculate inertia and momentum for example and how do I combine them. My intial thoughts are:
    Frame and cyclist (momentum = mass x velocity)
    Rotating wheel and crank (disc) (inertia =(mass x (radius)2)/2

The other issue is that I need to work out the inertia feel of a cycling ergoemter. Knowing that they have large mass fly wheels can I treat this as a disc and calcualte inertia in the same way and compare it to the above?

Thanks for you help in advance, it is much appreciated

Mistry

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted