Solving Momentum Issues: 98kg Man & 86g Stone Speed Calculation

In summary, a 98 kg man shoves an 86 g stone away from himself, giving it a speed of 4.5 m/s on a surface of negligible friction. Using the equation M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1 + M2V2, the man's final velocity can be calculated to be approximately -0.0039 m/s.
AlKaiser
1. The problem statement:
A 98 kg man lying on a surface of negligible friction shoves a 86 g stone away from himself, giving it a speed of 4.5 m/s. What speed does the man acquire as a result?

2. Homework Equations :
Pi = Pf
M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1 + M2V2

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

I've tried the formula above, and I got this far:

98 x 0 + 0.086 x 0 = 98 x X + 0.086 x 4.5
0 = 98X + 0.387
-0.387 = 98X
-0.387/98 = X
X = -0.00394897959 m/s

That's what I got. I have a feeling that I've done something wrong. The online Assignment system is telling me my answer is wrong, so what am I doing wrong? Have I missed something? All help is greatly appreciated :D

Physics news on Phys.org
AlKaiser said:
…M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1 + M2V2…

When you are substituting the velocity into the equation, the left side of the equation. The equation normally should look more like this:

[tex]m_a*u_a-m_b*u_b=m_a*v_a+m_b*v_b[/tex]

By the way, I state "u" as the initial velocity of the object(s), and "v" as the final.

If you're taking the direction of the stone's velocity to be positive, the other has to be negative since its in the opposite direction. ;)

1. What is momentum and why is it important to solve issues related to it?

Momentum is a property of an object that describes its motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. It is important to solve issues related to momentum because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects, and can also help identify and address any problems or errors in calculations.

2. How is momentum calculated for a 98kg man and an 86g stone?

The momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass (m) by its velocity (v), so for a 98kg man and an 86g stone, the momentum would be calculated as follows:

Man: p = m x v = 98kg x v
Stone: p = m x v = 0.086kg x v

3. What are some common issues that can arise when calculating momentum?

Some common issues that can arise when calculating momentum include using incorrect units, not accounting for the direction of motion, and not considering external forces acting on the objects.

4. How can these issues be addressed and solved?

To address and solve these issues, it is important to double check the units of measurement and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. The direction of motion should also be taken into account and the final momentum should have a direction associated with it. Additionally, external forces such as friction or air resistance should be considered and included in the calculation if necessary.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving momentum issues?

Solving momentum issues has many real-world applications, such as in designing and testing vehicles for safety, analyzing collisions in sports or accidents, and predicting the trajectory of objects in space. It is also important in industries such as engineering, physics, and aviation.