1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum/KE Problem

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    A neutron with a mass of 1.67×10^−27 kg and moving with a speed of 45000 m/s makes a head-on collision with a boron nucleus with a mass of 1.66×10^−26 kg. The boron nucleus is originally at rest.

If the collision is perfectly elastic, what fraction of the neutron's original kinetic energy is transferred to the boron nucleus?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What equations apply? You need to show your work before we can offer tutorial help.

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    I used the conservation of momentum equation, M neutron * Vi,n = M neutron * Vf,n + M boron * Vf,b

Then I would use the KE equation .5(M neutron)(Vi,n)^2 = .5(M neutron)(Vf,n)^2 + .5(M boron)(Vf,b)^2

However, I realized that I would be messing with two unknowns and I have no idea how to approach that, unless I'm totally off with the equations I presented.

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You indeed have two unknowns, but you also have two equations, which you can solve simultaneously.

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5
    Ah... Ok, I guess I have to do some kind of substitution.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be the way forward... :smile:

8. Mar 31, 2008 #7
    Oh no... Looks like I have to use the quadratic formula for this... -.-'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?