Calculate Momentum/KE Transfer in Neutron-Boron Collision

• Thread starter richylai
  • Start date
In summary, the collision between a neutron and a boron nucleus with a mass of 1.67×10^−27 kg and 1.66×10^−26 kg respectively, with the neutron moving at 45000 m/s and the boron nucleus at rest, is being analyzed. To determine the fraction of the neutron's original kinetic energy transferred to the boron nucleus in a perfectly elastic collision, the conservation of momentum equation and the kinetic energy equation are used. However, since there are two unknowns and two equations, substitution or the quadratic formula must be used to solve the problem.
richylai
A neutron with a mass of 1.67×10^−27 kg and moving with a speed of 45000 m/s makes a head-on collision with a boron nucleus with a mass of 1.66×10^−26 kg. The boron nucleus is originally at rest.

If the collision is perfectly elastic, what fraction of the neutron's original kinetic energy is transferred to the boron nucleus?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What equations apply? You need to show your work before we can offer tutorial help.

I used the conservation of momentum equation, M neutron * Vi,n = M neutron * Vf,n + M boron * Vf,b

Then I would use the KE equation .5(M neutron)(Vi,n)^2 = .5(M neutron)(Vf,n)^2 + .5(M boron)(Vf,b)^2

However, I realized that I would be messing with two unknowns and I have no idea how to approach that, unless I'm totally off with the equations I presented.

You indeed have two unknowns, but you also have two equations, which you can solve simultaneously.

Ah... Ok, I guess I have to do some kind of substitution.

richylai said:
Ah... Ok, I guess I have to do some kind of substitution.
That would be the way forward... :smile:

Oh no... Looks like I have to use the quadratic formula for this... -.-'

1. How is momentum transferred in a neutron-boron collision?

In a neutron-boron collision, momentum is transferred when the neutron collides with the boron nucleus. The neutron exerts a force on the boron nucleus, causing it to move in the direction of the neutron's momentum. This transfer of momentum is what causes the boron nucleus to gain kinetic energy.

2. What is the equation for calculating momentum transfer in a neutron-boron collision?

The equation for calculating momentum transfer in a neutron-boron collision is p = mv, where p is the momentum transferred, m is the mass of the neutron, and v is the velocity of the neutron.

3. How is kinetic energy transferred in a neutron-boron collision?

Kinetic energy is transferred in a neutron-boron collision when the neutron collides with the boron nucleus. This collision causes the boron nucleus to gain kinetic energy, which is equal to the change in the neutron's kinetic energy.

4. What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy transfer in a neutron-boron collision?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy transfer in a neutron-boron collision is KE = 1/2mv², where KE is the kinetic energy transferred, m is the mass of the neutron, and v is the velocity of the neutron.

5. How does the mass and velocity of the neutron affect momentum and kinetic energy transfer in a neutron-boron collision?

The mass and velocity of the neutron directly affect the amount of momentum and kinetic energy transferred in a neutron-boron collision. A heavier neutron or a higher velocity will result in a greater transfer of momentum and kinetic energy to the boron nucleus. Therefore, these factors play a crucial role in determining the outcome of a neutron-boron collision.