Momentum Lab Help: Calculate Friction, Coefficient & Work

In summary, the conversation involved conducting an experiment on momentum using mini-carts. After collecting data, the teacher requested finding the force of friction, coefficient of friction, and work done by friction. The student was unsure of how to approach these questions and asked for clarification on the equation and the concept of negative acceleration. The expert confirmed the correct equation and explained the concept, ultimately guiding the student to find the magnitude of friction and calculate the coefficient and work done. The conversation also addressed a question about finding the momentum of the system after collision.
SJ107

Homework Statement

The other day, I was asked to conduct an experiment involving momentum. Basically, I set two mini-carts bumper to bumper, and hit a switch that caused them to push away from each other and travel in opposite directions. We then had to repeat the experiment using different weights and such.

Anyway, after collecting the data, my physics teacher wants us to find the force of friction, coefficient of friction, and work done by friction. How do I approach these questions? I already know the carts’ Acceleration, Distance, Time, Initial Velocity, Final Velocity, Mass, Normal Force, and Momentum. Also, is acceleration supposed to be negative in these situations?

Homework Equations

Momentum = Mass * Velocity
Coefficient of Friction = Normal Force * Force of Frction
Friction = Force Applied from X Direction * (mass * acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn - f = (mass x acceleration)
:18N - f = 1.8kg x -.106m/s^2 ?
::-f = -18
:::f = 18 N

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
No your calculation isn't correct. After the cart has been pushed, there is only one force acting on it. What do you think this is? This should answer your question about negative acceleration, and enable you to use Newton's second correctly.

cristo said:
No your calculation isn't correct. After the cart has been pushed, there is only one force acting on it. What do you think this is? This should answer your question about negative acceleration, and enable you to use Newton's second correctly.

Well, the only force acting on the carts after the push is Friction. I'm guessing since it's slowing the cart down, the force is negative - as it opposes forward progress. So, would friction be equal to (mass * -a)?

Correct. So, you now have the magnitude of friction. Can you calculate the coefficient and work done?

cristo said:
Correct. So, you now have the magnitude of friction. Can you calculate the coefficient and work done?

I believe so. All I have to do is plug the Force of Friction into the "Coefficient of Friction = Normal Force * Force of Friction, correct? :)

Well, the correct equation is force of friction=coefficient * normal force. But yes you just plus in the values you know.

Oh okay. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Have a nice day. :-)

You're welcome!

Apparently, there is another question that asks, "What was the momentum of the system after collision?". What does my teacher mean when he says "momentum of the system"? Is it the average Momentum from both carts?

Last edited:
Total momentum of the system will be the sum of the momenta of the two carts.

Allrighty, thanks again!

1. What is the purpose of a Momentum Lab?

The purpose of a Momentum Lab is to study and understand the principles of momentum, friction, and work in a controlled experimental setting. This allows scientists to make accurate calculations and predictions in real-world scenarios.

2. How do you calculate friction in a Momentum Lab?

Friction can be calculated by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface, and then using that force in conjunction with the equation F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

3. What is the coefficient of friction and how is it determined?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force acting on an object. This value is dependent on the materials and surfaces involved.

4. How do you calculate work in a Momentum Lab?

Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The equation for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of momentum, friction, and work?

Momentum, friction, and work are all important concepts in physics that have numerous applications in the real world. They are used in engineering to design structures and machines, in sports to understand the movement of objects, and in transportation to improve efficiency and safety. They also play a crucial role in everyday tasks such as walking, driving, and using tools.