1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Lab need Verification

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    I have to do a lab simulation and fill out information in a chart. The lab simulates two pucks hitting with each other. It is suppose to be a momentum lab. I have filled most of the chart but am not sure if its correct. So I would like you to verify it. Plz and TY

These are the only given variables:
    I had to record x and y positions of both pucks(circles) for first 2 frames of simulation, Mass is also given and time is 0.050s
    pic1.png

This is the table i am suppose to fill:
    picmain.png

v1x and v1y are suppose to be for circle1
    vlx' and v1y' are suppose to be for circle2
    v1 and v1y' are both resultant velocity

p1x and p1y are x and y momentum for circle1
    p1x' and p1y' are x and y momentum for circle2

To find velocities i simply subtracted frame 2 position from frame 1 and divide it by the time
    To find the momentum i simply multiplied x and y components to the mass

For P Total X, can i just add both x components together?

How can i find Total Kinetic Energy?

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2
    Looks correct.
    Momentum are vectors, so yes, just add the components to get the total - just like you would treat forces.
    Use the v1 and v1' speeds for the kinetic energy. Energy is a scalar - no need to take directions into account.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted