Momentum must be conserved, so this is true, right?

• Thread starter StephenDoty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, momentum is always conserved in a closed system, where there are no external forces acting on the system. In the case of a collision between a light hydrogen molecule and a heavy water molecule, the momentum lost by one molecule is exactly equal to the momentum gained by the other molecule. However, in an open system, where there are external forces, momentum is not always conserved and can change with time. This is evident in the example of a stone sliding down a frictionless hill, where its momentum increases due to the force of gravity acting on it. Thus, the statements "In a collision between a light hydrogen molecule and a heavy water molecule, the momentum lost by one molecule is exactly the same as the momentum gained by the
StephenDoty
True or False:
In a collision between a light hydrogen molecule and a heavy water molecule, the momentum lost by one molecule is exactly the same as the momentum gained by the other molecule.

Momentum must be conserved, so this is true, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
In physics, momentum is always conserved. You just have to think about two things. A) Is the system being considered closed? and B) What happens as a result of momentum conservation.

It seems to be a closed system to me

so isn't the momentum conserved making this true

so i can make sure I have this concept:
as a stone slides down a frictionless hill its mechanical energy is conserved but its momentum is not. true or false

well since we are not given any info on the velocity at the beginning or end and since the velocity is constantly changing we cannot make any assumptions about momentum thus this statement is true.

Last edited:
Well we know velocity is increasing, and p=mv, so momentum is increasing. Like I said, momentum is always conserved, so an equal amount has to come from somewhere else.

so the first one is true and the second one is false?

Nabeshin said:
Like I said, momentum is always conserved, so an equal amount has to come from somewhere else.
Momentum is not always conserved. Momentum is conserved in a closed system, but not in an open system (i.e., one with external forces acting on it).

Hi StephenDoty,

Both of your true/false statements are true. As the stone slides down the hill, its momentum increases, so its momentum is not conserved.

Deciding on whether momentum is conserved or not depends critically on what your system is. If there are no forces on the system from outside the system, then momentum is conserved. If there is a net force acting on the system from the outside, then the momentum will change with time.

So for the stone going down the hill, the wording of the question means that we want to consider the stone by itself as the system. There is a net outside force (the force from the earth), so momentum is not conserved for the stone.

Momentum is conserved if we had chosen (stone+earth) as a system. The change in the stone's momentum is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the change in the Earth's momentum. (The Earth pulls on the stone and the stone pulls on the earth, in addition to the action/reaction normal forces between stone and hill.) The momentum of (stone+earth) is conserved as the stone slides down the hill.

good i have the concept then

thank you

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before and after a collision or interaction will remain constant.

2. Why is momentum conservation important?

Momentum conservation is important because it allows us to predict the outcome of collisions and interactions between objects. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

3. How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved through the transfer of momentum between objects. In a collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can also be explained by Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. Is momentum always conserved?

In a closed system, yes, momentum is always conserved. However, in an open system where external forces can act upon the objects, momentum may not be conserved. This is known as an inelastic collision, where some of the kinetic energy is lost.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum conservation?

Some common examples of momentum conservation include a billiard ball collision, a car crash, and a baseball being hit by a bat. In each of these situations, the momentum of the objects involved is conserved, resulting in predictable outcomes.