Exploring the Curious Case of Non-Conserved Momentum: A Scientific Perspective

In summary: Yes. But this wall is rigid and standing firmly on the ground on Earth which revolves around the sun and so on, I left the details because it might get too complicated.Your childhood must have been very interesting.
adjacent
Gold Member
I remember throwing clay balls at walls in my childhood and observing them stick to the wall. In a more scientific perspective, considering the ball and wall as a system, I can say that the total momentum before collision is greater than 0. But then, after the collision, the kinetic energy of the ball got converted to thermal energy and work was done to deform the ball, resulting in 0 velocity which implies 0 momentum.

I know that momentum is always conserved and kinetic energy need not be, but what isn't it the case here?

Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
considering the ball and wall as a system,
Is the ball and wall system an isolated system or does it have external forces acting on it? Is momentum conserved in such systems?

Dale said:
Is the ball and wall system an isolated system or does it have external forces acting on it? Is momentum conserved in such systems?

It has no external forces acting. It's just a wall, ball and air surrounding them.

I never learned about momentum conservation is different kinds of systems. All I was taught us that momentum is always conserved

adjacent said:
It has no external forces acting. It's just a wall, ball and air surrounding them.
So the wall is free-floating with nothing supporting it anywhere.

adjacent said:

I never learned about momentum conservation is different kinds of systems. All I was taught us that momentum is always conserved
Suppose it was a fence on shaky foundations. Would the clay knock the fence back in that case?

phinds said:
So the wall is free-floating with nothing supporting it anywhere.

PeroK said:
Suppose it was a fence on shaky foundations. Would the clay knock the fence back in that case?
Yes. But this wall is rigid and standing firmly on the ground on Earth which revolves around the sun and so on, I left the details because it might get too complicated.

adjacent said:
Yes. But this wall is rigid and standing firmly on the ground on Earth which revolves around the sun and so on, I left the details because it might get too complicated.
So the wall is attached to the ground and yet you are contending that it is free-floating and supported by nothing.

What would happen if the wall were floating in free space? What if it were glued to a pebble? What about a small rock? A large rock? A boulder? An asteroid? A planet?

Likes adjacent
adjacent said:
So the wall is floating in the air? Your childhood must have been very interesting.

adjacent said:
But this wall is rigid and standing firmly on the ground
Do you think that the description "firmly on the ground" may be indicative of an external force from the ground which is acting on the wall?

adjacent said:

And the Earth has momentum?

Hmm, so the ball kicks the wall which kicks the Earth and Earth gains momentum but it's almost negligible?
But what if all of the Ball's kinetic energy gets converted to heat at the collision giving the wall no kinetic energy at all?

adjacent said:
Hmm, so the ball kicks the wall which kicks the Earth and Earth gains momentum but it's almost negligible?
But what if all of the Ball's kinetic energy gets converted to heat at the collision giving the wall no kinetic energy at all?

The change in the Earth's momentum and Kinetic Energy are not just negligible: children are playing with clay all round the globe, so it's impossible to isolate your experiment from everything else that is going on. Also, where did your clay ball get its momentum from in the first place?

adjacent said:
Why not do some calculations? How much mass does the blob of clay have? How much mass does the wall have? How much velocity does the wall gain as a result of the collision? How much energy does that mean that the wall gains?

For extra credit, repeat the same computations using a frame of reference in which the wall is not initially stationary.

adjacent said:
Hmm, so the ball kicks the wall which kicks the Earth and Earth gains momentum ...

PeroK said:
... where did your clay ball get its momentum from in the first place?

Pay attention to this.

You have said that you left out details to avoid complication. Simplification can be good but massive oversimplification, such as in this case, leads to the kind of misunderstandings that you are experiencing.

adjacent said:
There is a maximum fraction of the KE which can get converted to heat in a perfectly plastic collision. That maximum is determined by the conservation of momentum.

Likes adjacent
adjacent said:

No, the change in the Earth's angular velocity is very small but the Earth has a huge mass so the change in the Earths momentum (the product of the two) cannot be neglected.

What Dale said. It is possible for some of the balls KE to be converted to heat but momentum is always conserved. That means it's not possible for all of the balls KE to be converted to heat.

Do think about what Perok asked you...

PeroK said:
where did your clay ball get its momentum from in the first place?

Likes adjacent
Thanks everyone, after thinking about it for a bit, I can now understand.

Momentum is conserved only in elastic collision. So your observation is true .

mridul said:
Momentum is conserved only in elastic collision. So your observation is true .
Momentum is always conserved. Presumably you had meant to say that "[kinetic] energy is conserved only in an elastic collision". That is true, by definition.

Nope see coefficient of restitution

Sorry

mridul said:
Nope see coefficient of restitution
The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much relative velocity is lost in a collision between two objects.

If one considers the total momentum of the system, momentum is strictly conserved. It is not lost. The relative velocity of both objects is reduced, but regardless of what frame of reference one chooses, the changes in momentum of the two objects are equal and opposite. That's Newton's third law.

If one considers the total kinetic energy of the two bodies according to ##E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2## then total kinetic energy [as judged in the center-of-momentum frame] will have been reduced by the square of the coefficient of restitution.

adjacent said:
I know that momentum is always conserved
and yes it is, say on hitting wall Earth gains speed of 10^-15 m/s multiply it with mass of Earth , so momentum gets conserved

1. What is Non-Conserved Momentum?

Non-conserved momentum is a phenomenon in physics where the total momentum of a system is not maintained or conserved. This means that the initial momentum of the system does not equal the final momentum, and the difference is due to external forces acting on the system.

2. Why is Non-Conserved Momentum important to study?

Understanding non-conserved momentum is crucial in many areas of science, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics. It helps explain the behavior of objects and systems in motion and allows us to make accurate predictions about their movements.

3. How is Non-Conserved Momentum different from Conserved Momentum?

Conserved momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. In contrast, non-conserved momentum describes situations where external forces cause a change in the overall momentum of a system.

4. What are some real-life examples of Non-Conserved Momentum?

Some common examples of non-conserved momentum include collisions between objects, such as a car crash or a billiard ball hitting another ball. Other examples include fluid flow, where external forces can cause changes in the momentum of the fluid particles, and rocket propulsion, where mass is ejected from a rocket to change its momentum.

5. How do scientists explore and study Non-Conserved Momentum?

Scientists use various mathematical models and experiments to study non-conserved momentum. They may use equations such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy to analyze the behavior of objects and systems in motion. Additionally, advanced technologies, such as high-speed cameras and computer simulations, allow scientists to observe and study non-conserved momentum in real-time.