1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum of a photon

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1
    This thing has troubled me for a long time.. but i think this is eventually starting to get clear to me.

When we say a photon has a momentum 'p', the momentum isn't it's mass times the velocity.. but it can be interpreted as: If the photon [having frequency [itex]f_1[/itex]] collides with any other particle, and an elastic collision takes place.. and it's frequency now is [itex]f_2[/itex], then the momentum imparted to the particle is: [tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}(f_2 - f_1)[/itex]

am i right?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a photon, momentum, p = E/c = h[itex]\nu[/itex]/c, and a change would be given by

[tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}{(f_2 - f_1)}[/tex], where h/c is a constant. I used nu for frequency f.

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3
    well.. i actually.. said the same thing. I don't get what you were trying to explain. Can u please explain? thanks.

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was explaining that a photon of energy E and a momentum of p = E/c. When a photon scatters (interacts with a particle), there will a change in energy and momentum, and the change in p = (Ei - Ef)/c. This is demonstrated in the Compton effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook